Self-Sufficiency

I recently saw a message on (I think!) this Group asking whether anyone knew of web sites devoted to all aspects of self-sufficiency.
The site to check out is The Get-A-Life Index. It's at http://www.getalifeindex.com . It's so new I don't know if the search engines have picked it up yet.
There are hundreds of references-- Not only links to web sites, but also books and articles and other information
The site is organized into categories and sub-categories including Food (gardening, recipes, storage, etc.); Alternative Medicine; House-building, Homesteading; Energy (solar, wind, etc.); Work (starting your own business or changing jobs/careers), etc.
–Alex
On 12 Jul 2003 09:24:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@123mail.org (Alex) wrote:

Wouldn't happen to be the *spamming* owner of the site, would you? I thought so....
This is a *pay* site. There are zillions of free sites with this info - they're all over the Web.
Pat

Any recommendations?
On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 16:41:29 GMT, "Seeker"

Sure, but you can do better than my recommendations.
Just go to Google and type in the search box the subject of interest: whether 'gardening' 'homesteading', 'self-sufficiency' etc.
If it's a two-word topic use " -- like this "home preserving" .
Also, go to http://www.waltonfeed.com - and click on 'Information Area'. (I can't give the exact URL you will get then, my ISP is having problems today and I can't get o the Web much today.)
Pat

Well, Google isn't for personal recommendations. I prefer someone actually recommending sites that they like. Why reinvent the wheel?
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:15:28 GMT, "Seeker"

Well, it appears the original post in this thread was spam; your "question" was none too specific ("any recommendations?"); and a suggestion to search on terms that fit your interests seemed a reasonable response.
My own thoughts immediately turned to "The Good Life" BBC comedy series (shown here on some PBS stations some years ago as "Good Neighbors") about a couple who decided to drop out of the rat race and become self-sufficient in their own suburban home. Not much useful instruction, but very amusing.
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 04:15:28 GMT, "Seeker"

In this particular case, I have too MANY of them to easily give recommendations, especially since I use IE, and IE does not keep its 'favorites' ('bookmarks' to Netscape users) in an easily accessible format.
I made a mistake and made a joint category - 'Gardening/Homesteading' - in my 'favorites' and there are probably hundreds of URLs there now. This should have been separate categories.
If I could just send you a text file, I would. But as I said, IE doesn't keep favorites in an easily accessible format.
Pat
On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 15:30:22 GMT, "Bob"

Works fine for me too, but not for sharing with others: they are not kept - AFAIK - in one text file anywhere.
If the favorites are all in one text file anywhere, I haven't been able to find it.
Pat
wrote in message

Ah. To transfer a list of 'favorites'. You can "export" favorites to an html file, either all or any particular folders. That might help.
Bob

Go ask your question on <misc.rural> There are lots of rural folks over there who have the good sites bookmarked.
Jan
snipped-for-privacy@xyz.net (Jan Flora) wrote:

There are also misc.survivalism and alt.survival if you can get past the black helicopter and other paranoid stuff.