Seeds, Seeds, Seeds

Would you all like to share where you get your seeds? Favorite websites and/or catalogs?
Kimberly
My own recent interest in open pollinated varieties, some heirloom, have led me to Seed Savers Exchange: http://seedsavers.org/Home.asp
These guys currently get the lions share of business from me, just this year I purchased a membership. I believe their work is important, in preserving heirlooms, maintaning a vigil against genetic modification.
I've purchased from Johnnys Select Seeds, lots of variety. Prices seem to have gone up faster than inflation recently..
Burpee occaissionally.
Jungs because they seem to have consistantly lower costs - but sometimes you get what you pay for.
Thompson & Morgan, they sometimes have varieties not available elsewhere.
Gurneys, that discount can be pretty good if they carry something you wanted to get anyways, like fruit trees or grapes..
How about yourself?
| My own recent interest in open pollinated varieties, some heirloom, | have led me to Seed Savers Exchange: | http://seedsavers.org/Home.asp | | These guys currently get the lions share of business from me, just this | year I purchased a membership. I believe their work is important, in | preserving heirlooms, maintaning a vigil against genetic modification. | | I've purchased from Johnnys Select Seeds, lots of variety. Prices seem | to have gone up faster than inflation recently.. | | Burpee occaissionally. | | Jungs because they seem to have consistantly lower costs - but | sometimes you get what you pay for. | | Thompson & Morgan, they sometimes have varieties not available | elsewhere. | | Gurneys, that discount can be pretty good if they carry something you | wanted to get anyways, like fruit trees or grapes.. | | How about yourself? |
Well I get them locally from the farmer's supply store or Home Depot or Wal-mart. I always bought tomato plants but last year (haha) I used some seeds I'd gotten from somewhere and they did so well that I had the best year ever for tomatoes. That's why I decided to just do seeds this year. I never buy okra seeds, which is my biggest crop.
I have noticed that changing just a few little things makes a huge difference in the outcome. Some are in my control and some are not so trying different things makes for more success. I thought I would find out where others are getting their seeds.
Just in case anyone is interested. I'm in Zone 7b. At least I was before the changes. Now I think I'm firmly in Zone 8 in Georgia. All the terminology and Zone stuff isn't something I've studied in depth. I just know how to grow things. :) It's fun to save seeds so I save the ones that are easily saved.
Thanks for asking. You gave very good information, thanks for that also.
Kimberly
Kimberly wrote:

Pinetree Seeds Smaller packets, so less cost per packet. I've got a fairly small garden, so I don't need huge amounts of each seed. This way I also get to try more varieties. This is my main supplier. http://www.superseeds.com
Kitazawa Seeds My choice for Asian varieties. Not a huge collection, but quality. I only get a few favorite varieties since I'm the only one in my aquaintance who likes Asian vegetables. One exception is a variety of green onions that *everybody* likes - Evergreen White Nebuka. http://www.kitazawaseed.com
John Scheepers Kitchen Garden Seeds Several gourmet varieties of seeds I like that are hard to find elsewhere. I usually only get 10-12 packets each year from them. I like their Ambition Shallots. They've got several collections for specific purposes such as Summer Salad Garden and the like. Nice way to try some new varieties along with old favorites. http://www.kitchengardenseeds.com
I used to buy quite a bit from Park's but have cut back to just a few varieties like their burpless cucumber. I got their catalog this year and will probably make a small order.
I also stop by a semi-local farm store for bulk items such as seed potatoes and onion sets and Blue Lake Bush bean seeds that I tend to buy just before planting time.
Speaking of catalogs, I must have gotten on someone's list big time this year. I've been deluged with over a dozen catalogs from companies I've never bought from before. It's overwhelming! I've browsed through several of them, but when you find only one or two varieties you'd like to use, a lot of your gardening budget ends up going to multiple shipping and handling fees. So unless I find something *very* special, I'll be sticking to my regular suppliers this season.
Happy Gardening!
Nyssa, whose fingers are starting to itch to get into the seed starting mode
Thanks for all the great information. I'm also itching to get started. Especially since my daffodils are over five inches tall already. It's been so warm they are confused and are making me confused, too. :)
Fedco (Maine)
Excellent prices - good quality - organic and heirloom available.
http://www.fedcoseeds.com/index.htm
And also Johnny's
http://www.johnnyseeds.com /
And occasionally the old standby Burpee's.
JonquilJan
Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

Thanks, I'm checking these out right now.
Kimberly