Seeds from Tomatoes

Hi, I have a couple of cherry tomato plants that have delicious tomatoes and some others that are only so-so. Can I save the seeds of some of the 'good' tomatoes and plant them next year? How do I go about saving the seeds?

Thanks, Jo

Reply to
Jo M

Saving seeds is easy. :-)

Just pick them out and dry them.

Works for me!!!

I store them in paper mailing envelopes. You can rinse them if you'd like in a screen colander.

K.

Reply to
Katra

Jo,

Cross pollination can occur with tomato's, especially the older varieties such as cherry. If you had other tomato's in very very close proximity, you may find the seeds aren't true to type. However, generally tomato seeds are very easy to save.

The fruit from the lower branches is generally best to save for seed, though any will save. Let the tomato ripen just beyond eating stage, cut the tomato and squeeze out the seeds into a jar, add a little water and let sit for a day. When the water starts to foam, (antibiotic activity killing disease such as bacterial spot) rinse the seeds well in a strainer. Place on board/shinny paper and let dry for a few days. You can then place into envelopes and label.

(seeds save for about 4 years)

Reply to
Kirsty