Seed dryer

Page 2 of 2

http://www.i4at.org/surv/soldehyd.htm
--

- Billy

Billy wrote:

It looks like a really inexpensive and neat design..Thanks
EJ in NJ

I use the paper towel, newspaper method, and while it can work, frequently the seeds will not germinate, so faster drying may be the key. Tomato seeds work well, but pepper seeds less so. This could also be due to hybrid seeds, right?
-Darrell Ulm
Basically, in nature, the fruit falls to the ground or is eaten and the seeds get pooped out. Then they lay in the ground until spring, when they start growing.
Couldnt a person just plant the wet seeds in little pots that are kept outside? Then in the spring, they would grow just like in the wild.
Im guessing that it wouldnt work, simply because it is not standard practice, but thought I would ask anyway.

Whether it works depends. It depends on your climate, the plant and the viability of the seed.
I live in a climate that gets hard frosts but snow is as rare as rocking horse poop.
In Autumn I frequently strip the seed heads of things and just strew the seeds around the garden to lie there and come up or not as they want to do. I generally don't bother with putting the seeds in anything but I have done it sometimes using old broccoli boxes. My problem is forgetting seeds in pots so I'd rather the seed did its own thing.
Things that grow easily from using this strewing technique are parsley, coriander, basil, calendulas, aquilegia, mustard, silver beet (chard) and probably others that I would recall if I took a walk around my garden.
Other things that grow voluntarily from my cold composting techniques are pumpkins and apple trees and various other squashes.

Thanks. I think I will give this a try next year.
The Seed Counter is computerized one and specially designed for quick counting of Seeds. This machine is useful for grains and pulses laboratories where counting of Seeds is a routine requirement. It is microcontroller based highly advanced unit with alphanumeric display of the commodity name and its other details. The machine can be attached to personal computer for maintaining the records of the samples obtained. It can also be connected with a serial and/or a parallel printer. It counts seeds in a given weight or volume quickly and accurately. Electromagnetic vibratory action moves the seed upward along with the track. Seeds are arranged into a single line before they are discharged. As the seed speeds down the chute, it is detected by a solid state sensor.
--
bookmarkmaster