Seaweed? A general fertilizer?

Is seaweed (in it's pure state) a good fertilizer for all types o

fruits and vegetables? I am thinking more for growing; Garlics Potatoes, Carrots, Cabbages, Brocolii, Onion, Melons and Tomatoes

-- guerseygrower

Reply to
guerseygrower

As a general fertilizer, I don't think seaweed contains enough NPK to make a difference but is helpful in other ways. I found this tidbit online that sums it up nicely:

"SEAWEED MEAL AND RAW SEAWEED Again, an important principle must be kept in mind: We do not use seaweed as a source of NPK-type plantfoods. In fact, seaweed contains only a smidgen of nitrogen, a speck of phosphate, and a morsel of potash. Its signal values are in the excellent assortments of secondary and trace minerals it provides, such as magnesium, sulfur, iron, zinc, iodine, molybdenum, boron, manganese, and copper.

Also, seaweed is a good soil conditioner, serving to loosen and improve tough, cloddy soils. In addition, it acts as a chelating agent to help plants glean minerals for an adequate diet."

..

Reply to
cloud dreamer

Wow...makes ya wanna go cleanup the beach...and build a bigger compost pile! Dave (has his work cut out for him)...Down in Florida

Reply to
D.Reid

....sandy beaches....warm water....

..

Zone 5a in Canada's Far East

Reply to
cloud dreamer

....Ooooooooooooohhhh...where the sun never shines. I'm sooooo sorry.

Dave (swettin' his brains out already)(what little he has)...Down in Florida

Reply to
D.Reid

I put it through the compost bin and in liquid composts so it breaks down and converts the nutrients in to a more stable and ammenable form. Unless chopped up quite finely seaweed does take quite a time to break down I find. Having said that, a mate puts it under his lawn mower and then straight on the garden as a mulch. It is often described as the perfectly balanced fertiliser as it contains every mineral and trace elements necessary for your soil. It is low in things like NPK however so are animal manures. Seaweed mixed with manures is probably a very good combination. Seaweed in addition to other fertiliser also probably a good combination. By itself, others have given good advice. My opinion, use it quite liberally but along with other fertilisers and composts.

Reply to
George.com