Scary Study - Roundup

Page 1 of 2
http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/technology-and-supply-chain/monsanto-weedkiller-and-gm-maize-in-shocking-cancer-study/232603.article#

http://www.thegrocer.co.uk/topics/technology-and-supply-chain/monsanto-weedkiller-and-gm-maize-in-shocking-cancer-study/232603.article #
I have seen this report elsewhere and it does seem to be flawed. Although I would avoid GM food and would like all GM food labelled as such I feel that all research should be genuine and not skewed to get the results desired.
Mike

Where is the flaw? How is it skewed? Who would want to skew it? What facts give you doubt?
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

You know what people say about opinions. What have the above insinuations to do with the article?
the article says,"Michael Antoniou, a molecular biologist at King's College London, who helped draft the paper, told reporters at a London briefing that its findings highlighted the "need to test all GM crops in two-year lifelong studies".
Duh. That there have been no feeding studies done on GMO crops has been a complaint since they were introduced. You are the Guinea pig.
Then there is the misstatement, "The study is also likely to create friction in the United States, where opponents of genetically engineered foods in California are fighting to have all GMOs removed from the food supply."
Prop 37 in California would only require labeling of GMO food stuffs, not banning them. <http://voterguide.sos.ca.gov/propositions/37/
Makes you wonder what other errors there are in the article.
In my opinion, you would be less incoherent, if you didn't drink your "single malt" before you post.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<

Daith based science France's Jose Bove, vice-chairman of the European Parliament's commission for agriculture and known as an opponent of GM, called for an immediate suspension of all EU cultivation and import authorizations of GM crops. "This study finally shows we are right and that it is urgent to quickly review all GMO evaluation processes," he said in a statement.
Finally shows we are right...
There are a lot of similar studies in more relavent models- yes including the hhuman model- that show glyphosate is safe.
Let them eat cake.
On Saturday, September 22, 2012 12:32:27 PM UTC-6, Rick wrote:

Glyphosate is not the problem. The problem is the "Round-Up resistant weeds" that develop that are even harder to control than before.
Monsanto has created a "monster" problem so they had better develop a new super killer for these resistant weeds. On and on she goes, and nobody knows when and where it will end. Tinker too much with 'mother nature' and she will smite you.

Agreed, but that isn't the issue here.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

That's what Monsanto $ays.
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

On Saturday, September 22, 2012 10:59:30 PM UTC-6, Billy wrote:

Tiny doses of a lot of products increase your risk of cancer. Big deal ...sunlight will do the same thing and I'm not staying inside my cave and not venture forth. Roundup IS relatively safe from ALL that I have read. If small amounts increase the chance of cancer in rats then DON'T FEED IT TO RATS...problem solved.

You obviously have done little reading, which only burnishes your anti-rationalism and ignorance, which you seem to think is a badge of honor.
No lifetime feeding studies were done on glypho$ate. None. We don't know what it can do. We are the Guinea pigs.
<http://www.i-sis.org.uk/glyphosatePoisonsCrops.php
<http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/tx800218n
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arpad_Pusztai>
--
Welcome to the New America.
<

On Sunday, September 23, 2012 9:08:36 AM UTC-6, Billy wrote:

You shouldn't through words like "ignorance" around so carelessly.
As a farmer, I know what RoundUp does. I have sprayed quack grass with it and it works well at the recommended rate. Not bad on Canadian thistle when applied when they are in the rosette stage in August or early September. When used for its intended purposes it is a great product. Other activities of Monsanto with breeding of RR resistant varieties, I question.
On Sunday, September 23, 2012 6:35:37 PM UTC-6, Roy wrote:

I meant "throw" instead of "through" in my reply. Just a wee bit of an error. May Gawd forgive me.

The application, by farmers, of Roundup to weeds is not the same thing as a 'lifetime feeding study'.

Though a lifetime feeding study should the study be replicable will probably (after Monsanto has pretended that the studies are flawed, hammered it with PR droppings and dragged its feet for a decade) affect the application by farmers of Roundup.

Indeed. But then that would be the whole point behind the conduct of such a study.
Farm1 wrote:

If you want to read some really scary stuff about the politicising and abuse of science and studies have a look at "The republican war on science" or better still, because it is wider in scope and not directed so much at one party "The merchants of doubt". My old mate Fred Singer appears in a star-studded lineup. These are both USA-centred but especially in the latter the authors show how this kind of corruption has consequences that go around the world.
We have seen some attempts to import some of this bilge (as if we don't have enough home grown idiots) where Brendan Nelson incautiously started sucking on the teat of Intelligent Design (AKA Creationism).
says...

Thanks David, I will, but no doubt will end up totally depressed at the end of my reaidng.

I'd forgotten about that! Yes, very disturbing. Mind you, I find Abbott even far more disturbing than a whole boat load and any number of other conservative politicans put together.

Hi Farm1,
How's the weather in upside-down land?
Given the trend and sensibility of my Canadian countryman's comments, the thought I presented seemed a logical enough addition to the thread.
phorbin wrote:

Trending dry all over the east but not yet a serious problem, some of North NSW and south QLD are declared "marginal" though the models are predicting wetter than median in those areas next quarter. The BOM is equivocating whether we will have an El Nino summer. I have had one good shower of rain in 9 weeks, due to the wonders of the Big Subterranean Sponge the pasture has spring growth but if there is no rain soon that will brown off pretty soon.
David

I had to put a sprinkler on yesterday because one of my veggie beds was gagging for a drink.