Scarlett Runs for dry bean harvest?

hello,

While searching for dual purpose veggies, I came across an article that said scarlett runner beans could be harvested green or left on vine to ripen and dry, so that you could pick them in fall as dried beans for throwing into soups and stews.

My question is: I really did think that scarlett runners stop producing beans if you don't keep them picked.... that if pods were left on vine, they stop producing altogether.

So.... has anyone tried leaving pods on plants to dry?

Or.... is there a another bean that will give me green beans plus dry beans in the Fall ? (region 7)

Thankyou for your thoughts and suggestions.

Reply to
emma

Any pole (running) bean will, to some extent, allow you to let some pods go to maturity while still providing beans for eating as green beans. They don't completely stop growing but will more sort of suffer a growth check if you let more than a few pods mature. The solution to that, if it's a problem, would be a few more plants.

And there are some varieties of 'horticultural' beans that can be picked as snap beans when small, shell beans when the pods are nearly mature, or used as dry beans. 'Dragon Langerie' (Dragon's Tongue) is probably the best known variety here.

I think a home gardener should pay more attention to picking beans at the fresh shell stage rather than dry, as they are the sort of thing that is almost never available at the market, unlike dry beans.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

Thankyou so much for that info. I will read up on Dragon Langerie, as well. Emma

Reply to
emma

In the past, I bought Scarlet Runner dried beans (found with all the other dried beans at Whole Foods). I tried planting them and we harvested the resulting green beans.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Blake-Knox