Scale on lemon tree

OK garden gurus, what do I do for a scale infestation on my small lemon tree please? It's the later end of summer here now and I'd like to get rid of this infestation before winter arrives if that's at all possible.

Neem oil works. IS that something you can get there?
Boron

Yep. Not that I've ever used it. it seemed to enjoy a lot of popularity a few years ago but I've not heard it mentioned a lot in more recent years. IIRC, it was more popular with those who gardened in the sub-tropical and tropical areas of Oz.

For scale I have used "white oil" and it appears to work. Manufacture your own, details here : http://www.abc.net.au/gardening/stories/s2281115.htm
Mike

Too late Mike, I made it this morning to Jerry's recipe. Ya just gotta love a man who isn't afraid to appear on TV looking as much of a fashion dag as he does :-))

Thanks all for the info and links. I'm definately behind the times with oils. They will be useful once my part of the world warms up :)

Thanks David. I'll try the pest oil on it's own first before I consider moving onto the bigger guns.

Pest oil may be very different, but it was my understanding that such controls were used in the winter. Do they work on things like lemon trees that don't frop their leaves?

Good write-up here:
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05569.html
Rick wrote:

They are used whenever the pest is vulnerable and are recommended for citrus.

<http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/citrus/controlling-citrus-scale.htm .
Thanks Derald. You're right of course about importing biological controls - it's not something I'd even consider doing even if I could given that I live on a farm. There are too many things that could come in with them that aren't here now and which I'd never like to see arrive on our shores.
I see that Madison is said to be a 'broad spectrum organophosphus insecticide'.
I try to avoid anything of that sort of decription, but won't say that I have never used such things. As far as I'm concerned such things are last resorts but if they work when all else fails, I'll consider their use.
Derald wrote:

the other method that involves some patience is the direct scrubbing application with a cotton swab. i used to have cacti/succulents that would need spot checking to keep the buggers from setting up shop. patience is always a good feature when working with cacti as they don't reward awkward sudden moves very often with anything other than a sharp spine in the ...

does the borax and corn meal trick work for baiting fireants?
songbird
Derald wrote:

Borax (sodium tetraborate) and sugar is a very old ant poison. Any kind of somewhat soluble borax compound will do as it is the boron that is the poison, borax is a form that is cheap and readily available. Mix it to a paste with sugar and a little water and spread a little where the ants go, renew as required.
David