Scale and lemons

Page 2 of 2

Okay... Just one more consideration. ;-)
Am wondering if sevin will kill the "crawlers" and I can just eliminate the sessile adults by hand like I've been doing. I think once they get established like they did, (I don't spend as much time as frequently in the greenhouses during the winter) they are going to take a lot of work to get rid of. I just pray they don't spread any further! :-P
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:43:49 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

Bugs are very diverse, and what works for one won't always work for another. Slugs are soft and squishy but scale are hard and it seems that probably protects them from poison. The consensus seems to be to suffocate them. But where there are scale there may be others, like mealey bug, and they need poison. Greenhouse hygiene is a whole science on its own. Best to study up on it through books and university notes. Goodluck. :-)
--
Cheers,

Indeed... ;-)

Thanks!
Right now I'll just clean them off by hand and pick up some pyrethrin to hopefully keep the "crawlers" killed and see what happens!
I may have to set up some sort of quaranteen area for infected plants.
So far, the scale has only attacked my San Pedros.
Wouldn't you know they are attacking the only cactus I'm currently trying to propagate to help pay for my plant hobby... :-P
For a nice healthy 12" to 18" San Pedro with some girth, I can get about $25.00.
<sigh>
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
il Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:50:12 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

Oil based, because they effectively suffocate the insect. That's why Conqueror Oil is mineral oil, (think baby oil) not a pesticide. But added with Orthene (aephate) gives better results. [so the manufacturer says] but Orthene thins stone fruits and seems to be added for mealey bug. So any plain mineral oil will be safe up to harvest time. But I guess you don't want to eat the cactus. Just make sure anything you buy tells you what's in it.
--
Cheers,

I'm not planning on eating the San Pedro, well, maybe the fruit, but future customers might so I do have to be careful! They are primarily a landscaping cacti and, as I posted earlier, I'm trying to propagate them. I have 20 successful cuttings growing off of 3 large 3 branched ones I paid $75.00 each for. They ain't cheap!
Actually, I've not lost a good cutting yet. They need to be a minimum of 3" thick to survive. 5" to 6" do even better. I plan to re-trim stumps for more buds as I remove the buds ready for callusing and re-planting.
http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/ThemSanPedros1.jpg
One of my tip cuttings came down with scale and it had spread to the two adjacent pots before I discovered it. :-( I've sprayed liquid sevin all over the others and my cycad and finally cleaned off all three plants by hand. The spines are short so I could do it!
The biodensity in Greenhouse #1 might need to be reduced until I kill all the buggers. I don't know where it came from!!! I did those cuttings about 3 months ago and the appearance of the scale was rather sudden! :-P

Oh yes... One reason I'd rather attempt making my own.
At least the sevin biodegrades, but I used it before I'd read that carbamyl (sp?) is not very effective against sessile scale...
I also do not wish to kill my greenhouse spiders. I have a kite spider living in Greenhouse #2 that has been there for several months. That greenhouse is clean tho'. No mealy bugs or scale.
Here she is:
http://home.centurytel.net/Katraslink/KiteSpider.jpg
She is a bitty little thing, but effective at keeping moths and gnats at bay! :-)
Thanks! Kat
--
K.

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

As we go through life thinking heavy thoughts, thought particles
Marcella Peek wrote:

You didn't say how little your lemon trees were but after using horticultural oil on my kaffir limes last year, this year I just scrapped them by hand when I saw the first couple scale bugs when I brought them inside and haven't had any problems since. Might've just been a good year though. :)