Scale and lemons

I am jumping in rather late, but here is something for you to consider. Oils like mineral oil are bengn on the stems of leafy plants, but catus breath through their skin. I do not really know for sure, but oil on a catus seems like a bad idea to me. You may well smother tha catus along with the scale.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick

Okay... Just one more consideration. ;-)

Am wondering if sevin will kill the "crawlers" and I can just eliminate the sessile adults by hand like I've been doing. I think once they get established like they did, (I don't spend as much time as frequently in the greenhouses during the winter) they are going to take a lot of work to get rid of. I just pray they don't spread any further! :-P

Reply to
Katra

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:36:11 -0500, Steve ha scritto:

There are one or two houseplants that don't like oil. but as usual I can't remember what they are. I suspect the Kentia Palm is one and probably violets. I'd have to browse my books again and since I'm really meant to be getting ready for work... Soft fluffy leaves probably don't handle it well ;-)

Reply to
Loki

il Mon, 14 Feb 2005 16:43:49 -0600, Katra ha scritto:

Bugs are very diverse, and what works for one won't always work for another. Slugs are soft and squishy but scale are hard and it seems that probably protects them from poison. The consensus seems to be to suffocate them. But where there are scale there may be others, like mealey bug, and they need poison. Greenhouse hygiene is a whole science on its own. Best to study up on it through books and university notes. Goodluck. :-)

Reply to
Loki

You didn't say how little your lemon trees were but after using horticultural oil on my kaffir limes last year, this year I just scrapped them by hand when I saw the first couple scale bugs when I brought them inside and haven't had any problems since. Might've just been a good year though. :)

Reply to
Gary Flynn

Indeed... ;-)

Thanks!

Right now I'll just clean them off by hand and pick up some pyrethrin to hopefully keep the "crawlers" killed and see what happens!

I may have to set up some sort of quaranteen area for infected plants.

So far, the scale has only attacked my San Pedros.

Wouldn't you know they are attacking the only cactus I'm currently trying to propagate to help pay for my plant hobby... :-P

For a nice healthy 12" to 18" San Pedro with some girth, I can get about $25.00.

Reply to
Katra