ROW TILLER (Need advice)

Okay, a little background, so you will understand my needs(or question).

I had a 5hp rear tine tiller(a darling). I gave it to my son because I am in my 70's and could not start and handle it any more. I bought me a small Ryobi tiller(huge mistake). It will start and run for 30 minutes and then quit for the day(repair shops said there was nothing wrong with it, until after the warranty was out. .you know how the story goes).

I have a small tractor with a 42" tiller on it for initially preparing the soil, but after the garden is planted I can't do anything with it. And I can't use it in my flower beds.

QUESTION: What about an electric tiller, or battery operated one???? Anyone had any experience with them, go or bad. What is the brand name of some?

Thanks in advance for your help. Rogerx

Reply to
Rogerx

I have a Mantis tiller that I bought 12 years ago, and I hate it. It only worked well for one season. I have lots of 2-cycle equipment, and the Mantis tiller is the only one I have trouble with. Also, it was just a little too light and bounced around a lot when I could get it to run.

Last year I bought a little Honda 4-cycle tiller (model FG-100?), and it is easy to start and is much easier to use than the Mantis. It is only a couple of pounds heavier than the Mantis, but the extra weight makes a big difference in the handling.

It has detachable transport wheels like a big front-tine tiller -- I took them off of mine and I just carry the thing by the top handle, but if it's too heavy for you to carry you can rool it around with the back wheels.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

(snip)

Like you, we have a utility tractor with a 5 ft. PTO tiller for initial prep. I had a rear tine heavy duty tiller for cultivating, but it became to difficult to start, so I sold it and purchased an electric start Troy-bilt. Appreciate the electric start and it is somewhat lighter weight then the Ariens we replaced so great for lighter work. Runs well. Good luck.

Reply to
Al

Different view on the Mantis... I've had mine for 5 years and the thing will dig up anything. I had to rebuild the carb last year but that's to be expected. Starts the second pull ever time and I've yet to see something it would go through. I put in a large set of walkways and a

20 foot diameter patio last year. I needed to dig 10" deep for the base, item 4, stone dust, etc. The first 6" were nice topsoil and after that it was somekind of crap about the consistancy of concrete with a *lot* of rocks in it. The Mantis had absolutely no problem.

The only fault that I have with it is that it does tend to try and "kick up" when it hits something like a root or rock. You pull it backward versus going forward and gotta hang on to it.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

I think mine has a bad carburator, and I've had it rebuilt a couple of times but I really need to have it replaced. But since I bought the Honda tiller, I have no use for the Mantis and will probably try to sell it (not that I'll get much for it.)

The Honda is the same way, but because it is a couple of pounds heavier it doesn't buck near as much and you don't have to wrestle with it.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Thanks Bob, I'll keep that in mind if the Mantis bites the bullet.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Hi Bob, me again. I just went down to Home Depot to look at that Honda Tiller (FG-100a1). They had their display and one left in the box and were closing them out for $199. Needless to say I bough it and have been out tilling for the past two hours- It is exactly what I was looking for. At least 200% better than the Ryobi, and starts so easy. Thanks for your advice. Rogerx>

Reply to
Rogerx

You're welcome. That's a good price; I think I paid close to $300 for mine. I bought the display model at Home Depot because it was the last one, but it wasn't marked down yet. If I had waited until the end of the season it would have probably been gone.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob