Rosemary

I am interested in planting rosemary in my garden. I have read that if the winter is harsh (below 5 F / -15 C) then it should be potted and brought in doors. Does anybody have tips on how large of a pot I should use?

Reply to
Stitch

Perhaps Arp can take 5 F, but most varieties are damaged below 10 F. Rosemary's hardiness varies between cultivars.

So do the ultimate pot sizes. That said, we grow quite a bit of it in pots ranging from as small as

1 gallon through a few in 20 gallon pots that are too large to bring indoors.

For kitchen use, based just on our experience, I would recommend a 5 gallon size, as it will support a plant that you can harvest from often without any issues. As an aside, we find the flavors of prostrate forms inferior to upright growing forms and our favorite is Tuscan Blue.

Reply to
Steve

Hi, Stitch I have planted a few rosemary plants into my veggie garden from curttngs before winter and they are growing well. The winter had a lot of frosty nights and some days with a few degrees bellow zero. Apparently rosemary is a frost and drought resistant plant. So hopefully you will have no problems. If planting in a pot, use a size that is suitable to the plant size. As the plant grows, just transplant into a bigger pot. GL Niki

Reply to
Niki

Thanks for the info. I'm still kinda new to it all.

Jeremy

Reply to
Stitch

The simplest answer is to use the biggest pot you can move or carry. Regards - Jim

Reply to
jimnginger