Rose Quartz tomato

x-no-archive: yes

A few years ago I ordered and grew Rose Quartz and Pink Odoriko tomatoes from Shepherd's Garden Seeds. The plants grew healthy and lush (they were in containers), had plenty of water and sun, but succumbed to wilt just as they were beginning to bloom, so I never had a chance to taste their promised wonderful fruit.

Both varieties were described by Shepherd's as Japanese hybrids.

This year I've found a source for Odoriko seeds (two sources, in fact) but am not sure about Rose Quartz. Tomatofest.com sells a "Rose Quartz" which it has not labeled as an heirloom, but hasn't described it as a hybrid either. Tomatogrowers.com has a "Sweet Quartz" (described as a Japanese hybrid) which might be the same thing as the original Rose Quartz ("Pink cherry tomatoes the color of rose quartz are as delightful to taste as they are to look at.").

At any rate, has anyone here grown Rose Quartz, and could you please let me know of your experience with it?

Thanks in advance.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra

Have you checked the GardenWeb tomato forum? Go there and do a search for Rose Quartz. There were a few threads there over the last few months on it, specifically about it possibly having the multi-flora gene-- it produced a huge flower cluster similar to Riesentraube. It's also been discussed it may be the same as Sweet Quartz.

Mark

Reply to
news.verizon.net

[Rose Quartz at TomatoFest.com vs. Sweet Quartz Hybrid at Tomatogrowers.com]

I'm currently growing Rose Quartz from TomatoFest (this may be a hybrid from Sakata Seed Co. in Japan, I need to verify this). Sweet Quartz Hybrid (from Tomato Growers Supply) is described as "slightly elongated" but the picture at

shows a fruit similar to the round ones on my Rose Quartz plant. It's sort of early in the season to tell and I'll have to wait until the fruit fully matures.

I could and should write to Renee Shepherd and ask her about the original seed source for the Rose Quartz Hybrid (Japanese) that was once carried in her Shepherd's Garden Seeds catalog.

Regarding the "multiflora" sport of Rose Quartz: people who have acquired some of this seed and grown it are saying that the trait for huge bunches of blossoms breeds true. I understand this was a selection from a plant sown from Rose Quartz (TomatoFest) seed.

-- dkra

Reply to
dkra