Root cellar

Does anyone root cellar. Is the concept of a root cellar to keep veggies cold and in high humidity. ?? How are you supposed to keep high humidity in the winter?

Reply to
DogDiesel

There is a good discussion about root cellars in "Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation" by The Gardeners and Farmers of Centre Terre Vivante

(at better libraries near you)

Reply to
Billy

I haven't seen a real sand chamber root cellar since I was a kid except in movies. I thought the purpose of the sand was to wick moisture away and thus an attempt at low humidity not high.

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

You are correct. High humidity is not your friend.

Reply to
Thos