Root cellar

Does anyone root cellar. Is the concept of a root cellar to keep veggies cold and in high humidity. ?? How are you supposed to keep high humidity in the winter?

There is a good discussion about root cellars in "Preserving Food without Freezing or Canning: Traditional Techniques Using Salt, Oil, Sugar, Alcohol, Vinegar, Drying, Cold Storage, and Lactic Fermentation" by The Gardeners and Farmers of Centre Terre Vivante <(Amazon.com product link shortened) 2592/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid97101828&sr=1-1> (at better libraries near you)
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the
DogDiesel wrote:

I haven't seen a real sand chamber root cellar since I was a kid except in movies. I thought the purpose of the sand was to wick moisture away and thus an attempt at low humidity not high.
You are correct. High humidity is not your friend.