Rocks on top of a plant pot

Page 2 of 2

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).
If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me. I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
In article

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to seal it.
Which I would.
I can collect literally tons of it from my local range <hint>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
In article

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.
I've not check out the rifle berms yet. I'm waiting for cooler weather. And I have to get there before the bench shooters check in. <g>
I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but still...

There is no blood in paper targets using a 9mm or a .40. ;-) Or a .22 if you want to conserve $$$.
Never underestimate the lead harvestability in that berm. And you are doing momma Earth a favor.
I use an outdoor range too.
And they don't give a rats ass if I pick up lead as long as I'm not interfering with shooters.
Get there early. ;-)
I have an annual membership.
Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...
<sigh> I'll be glad when summer is over.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a good thing to do?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

3 reasons (4 actually):
Casting my own bullets to save money
Current money value of the lead alloy for resale if I cast it into bars for resale (which I have not done yet)
Removing it from the berms as a benefit to our universal mom
Oh, and it's good exercise and works up a sweat.
It's a win-win activity. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone). Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small grenades, with nasty effects. We need all the gardeners we can get.
cheers
oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

<lol> It's why I prefer to remove them! They will only do that if they have some water content.
Sand and dirt tho' do float to the top.
And yes, it was humor which is why it was worded the way it was. I hope to gods anyone that is planning on doing led casting jolly well reads up on it first!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.
In article

Mostly Mockingbirds actually. :-) WOAI is usually pretty entertaining.
I just keep it low so I can hear the birds. Once I'm done eating and get out of the truck, the radio goes OFF.

Bummer. :-( I can still nail squirrels around here and Deer graze across the street, but those are safe as I AM within city limits. A BB gun is all I can get away with and after looking it up, the city has an ordinance against those too, AND SLING SHOTS!!! :-P
I don't see many rabbits tho'. Fire Ants have done hit point damage to the Bobwhite quail population too.

Mmm... Gun oil... Makes a good perfume. <G> (just kidding, but I have no objections to that smell).
Why don't you shoot any more? Target Practice is a good personal challenge.

Not true! This past, cool spring was wonderful and Fall is fantastic. You are seriously mistaken about South/Central Hill Country weather. Winters are fairly short and only intense a month or two out of the year.

Broccoli and Chard do well here in the Winter. I might try Cauliflower this year too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.