Rocks on top of a plant pot

I would like to ask the experts in the forum. I live in Dallas, TX area where strong wind and/or thunder storm is very common. In order to keep my backyard tree pots from being blown away by the strong wind, I put rocks (draining type) to make the pots heavier, that way they can withstand the strong wind. Is this OK? am I not going to cause any harm to the trees (mainly Plumeria and some fruit trees)

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Reply to
JS

No expert here, but ever consider of staking a pot. Drive a stake and get heavy duty electrical ties and put one or two about. I'd also look at micro climate possible fixes like a low wall.

Bill who brings his plants onto his porch when it really blows.

Reply to
William Wagner

Most of my pots rest on concrete patio, and therefore, staking is not practical.

Thanks,

JIMMY

Reply to
JS

Ever hear of a star drill ?

Bill

Reply to
William Wagner

Bill,

If you don't mind, can we stick with my original question, whether it is OK or not to put some landscape rocks on the surface of a pot to make it heavier? It is just a simple YES or NO answer !!

JIMMY

Reply to
JS

An inch or two wouldn't be a problem, I don't think. That's the kind of depth (roughly) that you might put in for mulching purposes.

A really thick layer of rocks might tend to compact the soil, though.

What we do here is to put bricks on the pots (well, or on the trays, I'd have to go out and look exactly where the bricks are and whether they are supporting the side of the pots or on top of the pots). That way they don't affect the soil.

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

I've used rocks as a mulch more than once. I've never killed anything doing that. I mostly do that for succulents tho'.

I doubt that it'd hurt anything. Just watch for excess soil compaction.

Reply to
Omelet

I have the same problem with my Ficus tree and based on my experience I don't think adding a few rocks will help during a thunderstorm. I actually had the Ficus staked and last week a storm blew through and pulled the stakes out of the ground.

What I wish someone would sale is a pot support that I could put the pot in. I can picture it in my mind but I am having a hard time describing it. What I envision is 2 rods bent into a circle, the top being smaller than the bottom. The 2 would be connected together with identical length rods. The pot would go into the top circle and would fit snug just under the top lip.

If you are having trouble visualizing what I have in mind just think of a regular flowerpot with the bottom cut off and then turned over. The pot with the tree would then fit into the other pot.

Reply to
randygress

Thanks in advance,

JIMMY

Pots/planters for trees in general are either straight up or of a generally inverted triangular shape with point cut off. Allowing some distance to top, putting rocks near the top make them top heavy. This prevents some lateral movement, does nothing for toppling over. Gravel or similar rocks are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

There is a simple solution, but, seeing your response on someone that dallied from your venue, I won't discuss it. Dave

Reply to
Dave

I'd say it's fine for the plant to place whatever you like on the surface of the *pot*, but not necessarily directly on the potting soil.

Didja ever consider heavier pots...

Search:

perhaps you can coat your pots with something heavy... I hear tell these days you can buy Chinese Pb paint real cheap.

Reply to
Sheldon

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me. I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Reply to
Omelet

Actually, the person that suggested putting the weight in the BOTTOM of the pot had a rather good idea.

I don't have a wind problem here most of the time, but it gave me food for thought...

I can get all the free lead I want, at least for now.

Reply to
Omelet

NO!! !!

YES!

Reply to
John McWilliams

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range

Reply to
Omelet

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

I've not check out the rifle berms yet. I'm waiting for cooler weather. And I have to get there before the bench shooters check in.

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but still...

There is no blood in paper targets using a 9mm or a .40. ;-) Or a .22 if you want to conserve $$$.

Never underestimate the lead harvestability in that berm. And you are doing momma Earth a favor.

I use an outdoor range too.

And they don't give a rats ass if I pick up lead as long as I'm not interfering with shooters.

Get there early. ;-)

I have an annual membership.

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

I'll be glad when summer is over.

Reply to
Omelet

Omelet expounded:

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a good thing to do?

Reply to
Ann

3 reasons (4 actually):

Casting my own bullets to save money

Current money value of the lead alloy for resale if I cast it into bars for resale (which I have not done yet)

Removing it from the berms as a benefit to our universal mom

Oh, and it's good exercise and works up a sweat.

It's a win-win activity. :-)

Reply to
Omelet

Actually had you not taken my one statement out of context and read and comprehended my *entire* post then you might realize that placing rocks into the bottom of the pot is not such a good idea... it robs space from the plant roots (the more rocks the more space they rob) and really doesn't add a lot of weight as it displaces soil that when moist weighs almost as much as the rocks. And rocks don't hold moisture or help with aeration, better to use some broken clay pots - which of course don't weigh very much. A larger and/or heavier pot is the better solution. Staking the pot down is not such a great solution either... any wind strong enough to blow an unsecured pot about is likely strong enough to rip the plant out of the pot, especially if it's some sort of tall plant, and most especially if there are root space stealing rocks. In heavy wind storms potted plants (and all other items that could become missles) should be secured indoors.

Reply to
Sheldon

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone). Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small grenades, with nasty effects. We need all the gardeners we can get.

cheers

oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

Reply to
MajorOz

Mostly Mockingbirds actually. :-) WOAI is usually pretty entertaining.

I just keep it low so I can hear the birds. Once I'm done eating and get out of the truck, the radio goes OFF.

Bummer. :-( I can still nail squirrels around here and Deer graze across the street, but those are safe as I AM within city limits. A BB gun is all I can get away with and after looking it up, the city has an ordinance against those too, AND SLING SHOTS!!! :-P

I don't see many rabbits tho'. Fire Ants have done hit point damage to the Bobwhite quail population too.

Mmm... Gun oil... Makes a good perfume. (just kidding, but I have no objections to that smell).

Why don't you shoot any more? Target Practice is a good personal challenge.

Not true! This past, cool spring was wonderful and Fall is fantastic. You are seriously mistaken about South/Central Hill Country weather. Winters are fairly short and only intense a month or two out of the year.

Broccoli and Chard do well here in the Winter. I might try Cauliflower this year too.

Reply to
Omelet