Ripening pears

Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

Didn't you ask this question last year?

I recall answering such a question last year and going back and forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.

And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing all over again.

Reply to
FarmI

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

Sorry I must have missed it.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I think the best way is to pick a couple and let them sit for a few days, then taste them. If they are completely unripe, go out and pick some more to test. If they are almost ripe, pick them all.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

This is a huge question! There are innumerable varieties of pears, and each one is different. I've been looking, without much success, for clear and reliable information on this for many years.

Some suggested ways to tell when they are ready to pick: Just after the "last run-up in size." When, if you lift them gently, they detach from the tree (or, when they begin to fall). When the seeds are hardened and mature (cut some open to check).

Just to keep things interesting, on some varieties all the fruit on the tree will not be ready to pick at the same time. And I've been told that Bartletts will ripen on the tree.

If you pick them too soon they will never ripen. If you leave them too long, some will just go straight from inedible to mush, some will just seem indefinitely inert.

That's the first tricky part, when to pick them. The second tricky part is what to do next. Some will ripen over a period of days or weeks sitting around at room temperature, some need a particular stretch of refrigeration. And some, once they are ripe, pass very quickly (just a very few days) into rottenness.

Actually, I guess the first tricky part is to know what kind of pear you have. If it is a tree you "inherited," this can be very difficult. If you know what kind it is, you can search for information on that particular variety. If not, do some meticulous experimenting and keep track of your results, until you hit on the right timing and ripening routine for your tree. Keep track of the bloom time, too, so you will eventually be able to predict when they are getting ready to pick (i.e., xxx days from bloom to picking). It can take years, so be stubborn.

Good luck!

Reply to
tuckermor

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last year knows not to bother again.

Reply to
FarmI

The heat is making you grumpy.

David Hare-Scott

The whole thread from last year can be viewed here - you did respond to her at the time.

Anne Chambers

What is making me grumpy is that you asked the question last year, you were given the answer then when you asked the question and you seemingly didn't believe the answer given.

If you think you didn't get a 'sensible answer' last year and you now get a similar sort of response from new people this year who say similar things to what I told you last year, then you should get off your arse and do some research for yourself rather than asking here.

I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't normally rate as being stupid.

Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.

.
Reply to
FarmI

didn't respond to me.

If you put your critical reading hat on, you should be wondering why David is being such a dill given that he's admitted to asking the quesion last year.

Reply to
FarmI

FarmI, you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles) and they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you might expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the inhabitants of the region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright and sunny. He'll settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)

Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat, i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.

Reply to
Billy

No but he said he had missed your posting...and what has being a family historian got to do with it ?

PLONK

Reply to
Anne Chambers

Settle down you lot. Why are you disputing? My memory is faulty. I repeat myself. And say the same thing over again. And sometimes ask questions more than once. And forget why I am I typing. What is this all about again?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

As I said before I'm sorry

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

No I'm from north of Newcastle, Australia. My pasture is drying off as there has been no useful rain for three months and I cannot irrigate 'cause the river has stopped. Weather prediction is 40C (104F) for the weekend, I may have to send my stock elsewhere if it doesn't rain soon. The mine down the road wants to turn my valley into a pit and discharge dirty water into the river, so I am a little tense. Not that that causes forgetfulness.

And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I'm not sure what caused such an agressive response either to your original post or to my reply.

Who knows ?

I hope you manage to harvest your pears at the right time this year - and if you do get it right, write it down so you don't have to ask again next year ;)

Reply to
Anne Chambers

Don't worry - you're promised rain by next Tuesday. That should relax you and improve the memory

Reply to
Gopher

Reply to
Jonno

Whoops, my bad ;O)

The strip mine near Martins Creek? Strip mines are a dirty business in the U.S. They are rarely good neighbors.

This may be totally worthless to you but at

says

  • Attached to the tree: Pears are best picked when the fruit separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it isn't ready! * Texture: A pear ready to be picked should have a feeling of springiness to its flesh. Close your hand around one and squeeze. If it feels absolutely rock hard, it's still not ready. You should be able to detect a slight feeling of give, but not too much. * Drops: when healthy fruits begin to drop, the others on the tree are ready; * Color: there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow; and the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the tree. * Asian pears, unlike European pears, should be allowed to ripen on the tree. They need no after-ripening storage period. Asian pears are ready for harvest when they come away easily from the spur or branch when they are lifted and twisted slightly. Use the taste test; they're ready when they taste good. Asian pears should be crisp and crunchy when eaten.

The other poster is right, the weather guesser says you have a 40% chance of rain on the 10th, and 60% chance on the 11th and 12th.

Reply to
Billy

i think it IS about how grumpy we all are in the heat :-) (well, i know _i_ am - it's primarily been 40 degrees- to 44 degrees almost every day for bloody weeks & weeks in my back yard. a cool day is 38. my garden is grumpy too, consequently).

i can't help you about the nectarines, though. all i can do is whinge. kylie

Reply to
0tterbot