Ripening pears

Page 1 of 2  
Pears will ripen off the tree but is it necessary? How do you know the best time to pick them? What happens if you leave them too long?
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Didn't you ask this question last year?
I recall answering such a question last year and going back and forth about how to pick the right time to pick them.
And yes, they do need to be picked and ripened off the tree. The trick is how to do that. I gave a fulsome answer on that in last year's response but it's just too hot to go through the same thing all over again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FarmI wrote:

Yes, didn't get a sensible answer.

Sorry I must have missed it.
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well that's clear. Anyone who had anything to say on the topic last year knows not to bother again.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FarmI wrote:

The heat is making you grumpy.
D
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David Hare-Scott wrote:

The whole thread from last year can be viewed here - you did respond to her at the time.
http://groups.google.com.au/group/aus.gardens/browse_thread / thread/e0ccc6b4d40ced03/0e6ba07083a45158?hl=en&lnk=gst&q=rip ening+pears#0e6ba07083a45158
or
http://tinyurl.com/d4x6b2
--
Anne Chambers
South Australia
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Anne as a family historian, you surprise me. I never wrote that David didn't respond to me.
If you put your critical reading hat on, you should be wondering why David is being such a dill given that he's admitted to asking the quesion last year.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FarmI wrote:

No but he said he had missed your posting...and what has being a family historian got to do with it ?
PLONK
--
Anne Chambers
South Australia
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Well Anne, you've plonked me so you won't see this. But just for the archives, I'll record here that I left out a paragraph in what I wrote in response to you.
I went out to move a hose and came back and put in a final para but missed out the one I'd composed in my head whilst outside. As it is my post in response to you made no sense whatsoever, so my injunction to put a critical reading hat on obviously didnt' work either gfor you or for me. And I'm cross at myself for my own stupidity at posting somethign that doesn't make sense.
But you gave me a good chuckle at your grumpiness and such a quickfire Plonking. Must be the season for grumpiness.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Anne Chambers wrote:

Settle down you lot. Why are you disputing? My memory is faulty. I repeat myself. And say the same thing over again. And sometimes ask questions more than once. And forget why I am I typing. What is this all about again?
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David Hare-Scott wrote:

I'm not sure what caused such an agressive response either to your original post or to my reply.

Who knows ?
I hope you manage to harvest your pears at the right time this year - and if you do get it right, write it down so you don't have to ask again next year ;)

--
Anne Chambers
South Australia
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

i think it IS about how grumpy we all are in the heat :-) (well, i know _i_ am - it's primarily been 40 degrees- to 44 degrees almost every day for bloody weeks & weeks in my back yard. a cool day is 38. my garden is grumpy too, consequently).
i can't help you about the nectarines, though. all i can do is whinge. kylie
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

What is making me grumpy is that you asked the question last year, you were given the answer then when you asked the question and you seemingly didn't believe the answer given.
If you think you didn't get a 'sensible answer' last year and you now get a similar sort of response from new people this year who say similar things to what I told you last year, then you should get off your arse and do some research for yourself rather than asking here.
I'm grumpy alright, but the heat has nothing to do with it. The grumpiness is because I'm seeing stupidity from someone who I don't normally rate as being stupid.
Perhaps the heat causes stupidity.
.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

FarmI, you should excuse David, he's from "La-La Land" (a.k.a. Los Angeles) and they are expecting 2 to 4 millimeters of rain on thursday. As you might expect, panic and confusion has broken out among the inhabitants of the region at the prospect of a day that isn't bright and sunny. He'll settle down again, once the crisis is past ;O)
Irony of it is that it appears to be you who is experiencing the heat, i.e., 91F (33C) in Cooma, and 81F (27C) in Sydney.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Billy wrote:

No I'm from north of Newcastle, Australia. My pasture is drying off as there has been no useful rain for three months and I cannot irrigate 'cause the river has stopped. Weather prediction is 40C (104F) for the weekend, I may have to send my stock elsewhere if it doesn't rain soon. The mine down the road wants to turn my valley into a pit and discharge dirty water into the river, so I am a little tense. Not that that causes forgetfulness.
And did I mention that I wish I had never started this thread?
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Don't worry - you're promised rain by next Tuesday. That should relax you and improve the memory
--
Gopher .... I know my place! It's called Dorset.

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Whoops, my bad ;O)
The strip mine near Martins Creek? Strip mines are a dirty business in the U.S. They are rarely good neighbors.
This may be totally worthless to you but at
http://www.pickyourown.org/pearpickingtips.htm
it says
* Attached to the tree: Pears are best picked when the fruit separates easily from the twigs. If it is hard to pull off the tree, it isn't ready! * Texture: A pear ready to be picked should have a feeling of springiness to its flesh. Close your hand around one and squeeze. If it feels absolutely rock hard, it's still not ready. You should be able to detect a slight feeling of give, but not too much. * Drops: when healthy fruits begin to drop, the others on the tree are ready; * Color: there is a change in fruit color from green to yellow; and the stem separates easily from the branch. To pick pears, grasp the fruit firmly and twist or roll it to make the stem separate from the tree. * Asian pears, unlike European pears, should be allowed to ripen on the tree. They need no after-ripening storage period. Asian pears are ready for harvest when they come away easily from the spur or branch when they are lifted and twisted slightly. Use the taste test; they're ready when they taste good. Asian pears should be crisp and crunchy when eaten.
The other poster is right, the weather guesser says you have a 40% chance of rain on the 10th, and 60% chance on the 11th and 12th.
--

Billy
Republican and Democratic "Leadership" Behind Bars
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
FarmI wrote:

As I said before I'm sorry
David
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I solve these problems by walking away before posting a grumpy reply. If I'm still feeling grumpy, I'd change my personal habits... People do forget... E's sorry! Now straighten out Farm1... (grin!) He's now got three problems 1) his pears 2) his memory 3) You being grumpy in some remote faraway place, god knows where. But he cares enough to say sorry.... I only have one question Farm1 >> Do you want to be renamed GRUMPY?

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

No. I'd rather be Sleepy.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.