Ripe Tomatoes by July 4th, Almost...

What is your secret with tomatoes. I live in Kitchener not far from you and i only have a few small green tomatoes so far. It will be another month before they are ripe . Do you use black plastic or anything special. ?

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
Andy Petro

Hey back at ya. You hit it dead on. We live about a mile and a half (as the crow flies) south of the Experiment Station on a road that sits across 129 from Pappy's. I too do work for Joe, Freya and UGA on the side, but it is of the remodeling variety. Joe and I sit on the local Boy Scout Committee together. Where are you located and are you guys covered in June Bugs and Japanese Beetles too?

Keith

With a 4 acre playground in God's country!

Reply to
Keith Warren

All plants will benefit from an occasional foliar feeding of seaweed/fish emulsion.

Reply to
TQ

Is that like black magic? *taps the tomato cage with the end of a trowel* Grow, my pretties! Grow! lol.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Okay, I admit it. I cheat with Wall o' Water !. I actually didn't take them off during the hot spell in June. I just made sure they were opened up so the plants wouldn't cook. I have a few tomato plants in large pots and used the walls on them as well and, once the walls were balanced (I didn't fill all the holes), they worked beautifully.

I took off most of the walls a about three weeks ago but one actually came off last week. i have been using them for years and am always the first one in the neighbourhood with tomatoes. The red ones seem to work the best except that they disintegrate faster than the clear ones ( flimsier plastic).

And, of course, everything has been overly mulched this year b/c of the lack of rain. We haven't had rain in this neighbourhood for over a month...

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
Sallyrat&Sweetie

Keith:

We are south of Gainesville, just off 129 as well. No june bugs this year for some reason, but lots of jap beetles. I leave a couple of evening primroses as traps and kill them on it. That is the only thing they are attacking this year, but I must kill 20 a day on it.

Tell Freya John L says hi! I miss the trips up there and so does my wife, she would go with me and shop all day...

Well, I need to go and see what the rain did to the garden.

John!

Keith Warren wrote:

Reply to
GA Pinhead

What is a Wall o' Water. I never heard of it.

-----=============================================================================

Reply to
Andy Petro

We didn't get our garden in until May 18th this year (global warming my a**). Nothing even close to turning red right now.

But, oh boy, with 22 giant tomato plants out there, when they hit, they're really gonna hit.

Reply to
Anonymous

First hit on google.

tubes of water.