Ripe Tomatoes

How long does it take tomatoes to ripen once they have stopped growing in size?
On Tue, 24 May 2011 08:52:58 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

I think your variables are 1. Variety 2. temperature 3. ?? sunshine?
I've picked full grown tomatoes on Sept 12 & eaten them on Thanksgiving. [once-- not worth doing again]
OTOH- I've picked all the 'even close to ripe' ones, gone on vacation for two weeks, and found lots of over-ripe tomatoes on the ground.
Jim

They are Jetsetters and Big Beef. They are in a greenhouse so they gets lots of sun and it is quite warm. I am in North Carolina

Never did Jetsetters- but a WAG on the Big Beef is 'a couple weeks'-- though it will seem like a month.
If you just want 'red'- you can do what the grocers do and gas them.<g> Put one in a paper bag with an apple. It won't help the flavor, but it will redden it up.
Have some fried green tomatoes in the meantime. [Pick a blemished tomato from a heavily laden branch.] Probably just my imagination, but it makes me feel like I'm hastening the ripening process by picking some.
Jim [and count your NC blessings. I'm lucky to see a ripe tomato by July 15] Jim
In article

Vine ripe or windowsill ripe?
It's kinda like asking how you like your steak. We all have different tastes. By and large, most pick when they are at the appropriate color, but some will sniff and squeeze as well.
--
- Billy

Mad dog Republicans to the right. Democratic spider webs to the left. True

I would say vine. Maybe I should re phrase, how long from green to red?
In article

As Jim said, that will depend on variety, temperature, and sunshine. If you look at nursery sites, they often will give you an idea of how long from planting a seedling to ripe fruit. When you are looking at your first green tomato of the year, it could take 6 weeks (and seem longer).