repelling groundhogs

does anyone know of proven ways to repell groundhogs? thanks.

Reply to
FREDERICK INDICTOR

does anyone know of a proven method to repell groundhogs? thanks.

Reply to
FREDERICK INDICTOR

Shotgun? ;-)

I've heard they are tasty....

Reply to
Katra

As best I can tell, we've had good luck with fencing. We found out the hard way that you need a horizontal strip of fence along the ground, to keep them from digging under.

We've tried traps (Havahart, large). We always catch them, eventually; but, sometimes it takes a while, and they can do a lot of damage in one night. One time - before we put the horizontal strip of fencing in - we had the trap right at the hole they'd dug under the fence. Nothing: they walked right by it.

If it was legal (& safe) to shoot here, I think I'd get a pellet gun.

George

Reply to
ge

First George, I don't think that you'd have much luck against a chuck with a pellet gun. Those guys are tougher than they look.

Also don't you mean a horizontal fence *under* ground level? I've never seen a fence at ground level that they can't/won't dig under if they want to. Come to think if it, I don't think I've seen any that had been sunk down that they couldn't get under.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

No, we just laid it on the ground - about a foot wide, coming out from where the vertical fence touched the ground. AFAICT, it worked for us: they'd dug a hole under the fence, which they'd clean out when we tried to block it. That stopped after we put the strip of fence along the ground.

But, maybe, as time goes on, we'll find that was just wishful thinking. They do seem to change feeding patterns; maybe, they just found something more appealing. Or, maybe we won't have woodchucks this year. Every day is a new adventure.

George

Reply to
ge

Well, I've never heard that one before! Sounds easy enough! I may give it a try. Can't hurt! ;-)

Reply to
Steve Calvin

How far down did you place the horizontal strip. I have bricked them in, down to a depth of 3 bricks and they have still dug out from under.

We trap & release in the woods.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Believe it or not you have to be careful with that... in some areas (including mine) it's perfectly legal to live trap an animal BUT it's illegal to take and let it go into the woods. You're supposed to call an animal relocation service and pay to have it done... yeah, right.

How freekin' stoopid is that.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

A couple of things:

- We bent the wires on the cut edge of the horizontal fence, so they could lock into the vertical fence - that kept anyone from forcing their way between.

- Be careful if you mow over the horizontal part. That can get ugly. Not that I would have done anything like that.

George

Reply to
ge

In my area, animal control companies are not allowed to remove a live animal from the premises if they trap it. They have to kill it or release it on the property.

That is why we take the trap to a unfrequented hiking area & let the critter go.

I had a neighbor, a policeman, who offered to "get rid of the problem" for me. How I regret not letting him do it, though, frankly, I think it is shoveling against the tide.

I had been groundhog free for 3-4 years & my neighbors completely renovated their yard. Heavy equipment,. waterfall, re-grading...the whole thing. Once that began, I started getting them again. Last year, they waited until the Brussels sprouts were just waiting for a frost. Every leaf, every sprout was eaten. Only the stalks remained.

I keep a large sheet of plywood wedged into the stairs of my upper deck, where I grow quite a bit in containers. The bast... um...critters cannot get up there, then, so I can protect that.

They are not hard to trap, and if you can get rid of the whole family group, you really can be happy for a few years.

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Reply to
JRYezierski

Valid points, but not everyone lives in urban areas. I have access to vast tracts of woods. Take a chill pill.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Oh, and since you're so interested in doing things "right", please don't TOP POST! Very poor usenet manners to top post.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

Reply to
JRYezierski

yeah, to make money for their relocation buddies.

I do not normally reply to top-posting yahoos and typically killfile them if they choose to continue being rude so if you don't hear from be again, don't be surprised.

Reply to
Steve Calvin

How high does this fence need to be? I'll get caught sooner or later if I keep shooting them and they can do allot of damage before I get a shot.

Reply to
Boboed

Unless you are on a binaries group. ;-) Then it's very common, and necessary!

Reply to
Katra

What part of your top-posting mind does not understand the words "unfrequented hiking area?" They'd have a way to go to get to bothering another homeowner & I am not taking them anywhere where they do not already exist.

They are not "problem animals" when they are in a remote and partially wooded location. They can play with their friends there & nibble what they choose.

Smoke bombs are completely inappropriate to use in a residential area such as mine and are best suited for pasture or large, open acreage. Electric fencing would be more effective as a deterrent, but that surely will send into my neighbors' yards, too, as well as bother my own pets.

I suppose I'd better load the rifle for the deer, too, rather than set up fencing, eh?

Boron

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Just get a permit first! :)

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com please respond in this NG so others can share your wisdom as well!

Reply to
Dave Allyn