Refrigerating lettuce... while it grows?

This may be crazy, but I was wondering if Lettuce would grow (and grow well) in refrigerator temperatures and moistures. (I am well aware of the missing sunlight.)
Puckdropper
--
www.uncreativelabs.net

I haven't tried, but I severely doubt it.
If what you are trying to do is get the lettuce out of the ground, but not for immediate use, like for instance pulling it at the allotment and taking it home for later, what we do is pull it complete with roots, and put it in a bowl of water in the shed till it's needed. Even so, I wouldn't care to swear that it keeps growing, but at least it doesn't wilt.
Steve

I don't know about lettuce, but... a while back I got a container of alfalfa sprouts, which I kept in the fridge. I put about 1/4th of the container on a sandwich. Next day the container was full again. Another 1/4th of it went on a sandwich. And it was full again the next day! This continued for several days. In all I got about 3 times the amount of sprouts I'd paid for. Likely there were just a lot of barely-sprouted seeds in the batch and those were what was growing, but it sure was funny.
~REZ~