Red Cabbage

I bought a 4 pack of Red Cabbage. When I went to plant them, all the roots were intertwined. So, I thought I'd plant them, wait till they matured a bit, dig them up, separate them and replant them. Hopefully, the roots untangled. Is this Ok to do? I am afraid if I leave them as they are, none will grow.
snipped-for-privacy@excite.com wrote:

I would separate them from the get-go, the sooner the better. Plant them about 2 feet apart at least. Don't worry about the roots. They'll survive.
GK Wrote:

Ck is right. THe roots will regrow after you separate them. If you wai till they are bigger then they may not survive
-- Maryc

You are right. If you plant them as a clump of 4, they will be far too close together and all will suffer. Separate them by soaking the root ball in water and teasing the roots apart as gently as you can.
Steve
Steve,
Thanks. I did what you said except for the 2 feet apart. Nothing in my garden is that far apart. Well, the cabbges are 4 ft apart but there is stuff in between them. I even poured a little water in the hole. I have a question about watering but I'll make a new subject for that. Thanks again and to all of you behind this posting.
On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 00:25:01 +0100, "shazzbat"