Re: zucchini death

Welcome to trhe squash vine borer society.-this nastly little worm is the scoiurge of summer squash. Injecting BT into the stems is a control--keeping the outside of the stem sprayed or dusted with a pesticide is another--digging the beast out of the stem when it first appears is another. Get your suash going as soon as possible in the spring and you may reach the zuke overload point by the time the nasty shows up and no longer want to see any more zukes
whaaaaaaa! Thanks for the info. I'll know better next year...but my dreams of zucchini pancakes are dashed...boohooo.

control--keeping
another--digging
overload
zukes
Hey! 59/LB at the store and no bugs! Life is still good! I always has a problem with cutworms so I planted inside cups with the bottom cut out. So what happens? I got zucchini vine borers this year. I have been fortunate in that I was able to find the problems early. You need to take a thin wire and probe it into the bored hole in an attempt to spear the larva and kill it or remove it. Then cover the base of the plant with soil or sand the plant will try to recover and put out new roots. If It's too late, just thank god you didn't have an acre of them 'Live and learn.'
Jack