Re: Zones

I wish that everyone writing to Rec.gardens would either specify the

> climate zone or city they live in. I am in Toronto , Ontario, zone 5 and > just starting to see the odd minute tomato on the plants . It will be a > long time before i see any ripe ones. , but if i knew where you lived it > would be easier to accept . I also learned that the zones in Canada and > the Us are classified the same way. Where can i get information on this.

I used the info at

. The info is broken down into areas, but I think (last I really looked) all the info was there. It is a commercial site, btw, but it has some useful info on it, too. You could also look on the USDA website for all the US zones, and Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada for the Canadian zones.

has info on who came up with the zones and what the criteria are.

rona (in 3a, I think--I'm in Winnipeg and have not seen any tomatoes on my tomato plants. They're still alive, though, so that's a plus!)

Reply to
Rona Yuthasastrakosol

On Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:47:37 -0400, Andy Petro wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

These are known as Plant Hardiness Zones. The Canadian zones can be found at

and are assigned by Agriculture Canada. Click on the map a few times to zoom in to your area. The American zones were developed by The United States Department of Agriculture and includes part of Canada. I believe their site is at

, but it is down at this moment (score

one for the Canucks) so I cannot confirm it.

-- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
Jim Carter

AFAIK, the two classification systems are slightly different. I'm just an hour's drive West of Toronto, in Canadian Zone 5b but, using USDA zones I'm in Zone 3. Here's AgCanada's site:

is interactive and you are able to zoom in almost close enough to see your own garden ;-). Ross, Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º19' North 80º16' West
Reply to
Ross Reid