Re: Zones

I used the info at http://www.veseys.com/sub.cfm?source=climate_map . The info is broken down into areas, but I think (last I really looked) all the info was there. It is a commercial site, btw, but it has some useful info on it, too. You could also look on the USDA website for all the US zones, and Agriculture and Agri-Foods Canada for the Canadian zones.
http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/#usda has info on who came up with the zones and what the criteria are.
rona (in 3a, I think--I'm in Winnipeg and have not seen any tomatoes on my tomato plants. They're still alive, though, so that's a plus!)
in rec.gardens.edible:

These are known as Plant Hardiness Zones. The Canadian zones can be found at
http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/climate/hardiness/webmap.html
and are assigned by Agriculture Canada. Click on the map a few times to zoom in to your area. The American zones were developed by The United States Department of Agriculture and includes part of Canada. I believe their site is at
www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html , but it is down at this moment (score
one for the Canucks) so I cannot confirm it. -- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

AFAIK, the two classification systems are slightly different. I'm just an hour's drive West of Toronto, in Canadian Zone 5b but, using USDA zones I'm in Zone 3. Here's AgCanada's site: http://map1.agr.ca/scripts/esrimap.dll?name=Plant2000&Cmd=Map&Lang=En It is interactive and you are able to zoom in almost close enough to see your own garden ;-). Ross, Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b 4319' North 8016' West