Re: Wilting Basil

Bob, have you checked for slugs and snails? They love wet climates.

They crawl onto the stalk of the plant and start eating, they may crawl up further and eat leaves or the stalks of leaves, but mostly they seem to start right at the bottom of the main stalk damaging it so much that the whole plant wilts and falls over.

If slugs and snail are the problem, you can buy traps or you can bury opened cans of beer so that they fall in. The easiest method to control them is to pick them off the plants when they are active at night.

Small snakes like to eat them.

Ken

Bob wrote:

I try to grow basil in seattle, and this year am losing a number of plants, > 2-4 inches tall, that are just wilting, drying up and dying. I believe they > are getting plenty of water. Maybe too much? Does anyone have any idea what > the cause or solution could be to stop this problem? Is it something that > will spread to the other plants? > > Bob > > >
Reply to
user

It's a variety of fusarium wilt and comes from bad seed. The bad news is that it can stay in the soil for years and will affect everything in the mint family. One needs to be very careful buying basil plants from garden centers. If they show any brown on the stems, don'f buy them!

Regards, Dianna (who learned this the hard way)

_______________________________________________ To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Reply to
Dianna Visek

If you learned it the hard way, what have you done about it? I certainly want to continue to grow basil in futire years.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I now grow basil in a different part of the garden.

Regards, Dianna