Re: Tomatoes inside potatoes?

I picked up an old gardening book which has some interesting things. The

> most unusual thing in it is directions on how to plant tomato plants in > potatoes for a double crop in the same space. > > Has anyone heard of this or tried it? > > Glenna >

What do you mean by "in"?

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

A ancient trick to seperate gardeners from their money occurs every ten years or so/ along with the tree tomato which isn't a tomato at all. A short season tomato usually Sub-Arctic is grafted onto a Red Norland potato vine. It works but is strictly a novelty item. Last ones I saw advertised were from Spring Hill. Perodically the Sunday supplements are full of them. It is also possible to plant tomatoes among the potatoes but it is less efficient than planting seperately. Each plant needs it space and the growing seasons overlap to the point that you can't double up on the plants

Reply to
FarmerDill

They actually moved the t>

That was k>

I was wondering how the harvest would go. Right now, most of my potato plants are as high as the smaller tomato plants. The potato leaves would certainly interfere with the ripening and picking of the lower tomatoes.

---------

The book was written in 1969 and is from Rodale Press (Organic Gardening). I've not read through the entire thing, but have noticed some good ideas and some that my experience tells me are not-so-good, to put it kindly.

Thank you for the comments. I might try a couple next spring just out of curiosity, depending on how willing I am to sacrifice that growing area to a nut thing.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose

I read something along those lines in a recently published book. It suggested that a surefire way to grow hard to root roses and other shrubs was to make a hole in a potato, insert the cutting, and plant it the package. I tried it with a rose. The rose didn't survive, but at least I have a nice potato plant.

winng

-- winng

winng

Winng, I am so sorry, both for the loss of your future rose but for laughing which I did when I read your message. I absolutely love your optimism and view on life!!!

Before the death of my youngest son, I always said there is good in everything . . . if the puppy ran away from home, at least it was before it was housebroken. I remember picking up my grandmother to visit us the day before my husband's September birthday. She had planned to bring home-grown strawberries for his favorite, strawberry shortcake, but forgot to get them out of the freezer. About 40 miles into the 130-mile return trip to our house, she said, "Oh no, I forgot David's strawberries!" So she wouldn't feel bad (and I didn't want to drive back to get them), I said, "Well, that's okay, now I won't have to bake shortcake in this heat. If he has store-bought berries, he can have store-bought shortcake also." She laughed.

Truthfully, you now have a nice potato plant and will have for many years in the future if my garden is any indication! If I've learned nothing else from my garden, it is that once a potato spot, always a potato spot. No matter how well I think I've dug in the fall, winter and early spring, there are still 'taters coming up. Right now, in July, I have new potato sprouts poking their little heads through all over my garden which was rototilled with a tractor this year. Some will stay where they are, some are transplanted and some go to the chickens.

Enjoy your potato plant. I wish you much luck with the next rose. It never worked for me, but my grandfather would put a rose bud upside down in the soil under a fruit jar and kept it moist for a rose start. YMMV, but the skill was definitely not inherited by his eldest granddaughter, drat it all.

Glenna

Reply to
Glenna Rose