Re: Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?)

wrote:

<snip>
Colour me foolish... laboritories? I dunno; tinkering too much? Human curiousity run amuck?
jcm
Toronto, Canada Canadian zone 5b, U.S. zone is apparently 4b
I'm just trying to find my way amongst the forest of diverse information. Thanks to global warming it's bloody hot here!
Potato leaf plants have a thicker epidermis than regular leaf so theory is they're more disease resistant/durable. Also, heirlooms have withstood the test of time, their disappearance in the past was not like the dinosaurs but because of modern breeding for durable fruits to ship to market.
As for TMV, less than 1% of the current tobacco has the disease.
Mark
(Joanne) wrote:

without
True...kinda. Alot of the older heirlooms have some resistance to certain diseases and little or none to others. Disease resistant hybrids were created taking the desired traits of those heirlooms and combining them.
(Jan Flora) scribbled: