Re: The EPA, whose mission is . . . to protect human health and the environment, has approved Monsantosrequest to allow levels of glyphosate (Roundup) contamination in your food up to a million times higher than have been found carcinogenic.

Page 2 of 2
Billy wrote:

I'd like to believe we can know a product will do no harm before it's sold, but how often are products allowed to go on the market that passed current safety standards only to find out 10 yrs later the product does do harm? I'm wondering how we can know a product doesn't do harm at all?
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Life time feeding trials would go a long way to getting us there, but trials take time, and modern corporate reality is all about next quarters profits. As long as corporate sugar daddies donate (bribe) to election campaigns, law makers will be more concerned about corporate wealth, than public health.
GMOs haven't been subjected to lifetime feeding trials. We are the guinea pig.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<

Billy wrote: ...

for the sugar/sugarbeet connection i would not be too worried about refined sugar as it is so heavily refined.
as to what remains in molasses you would have to test it and see, i've not heard or seen anything on that score.
no comment on grains, corn, soybeans glyphosate residues... no idea how much or how bad it is.
songbird

<http://www.safelawns.org/blog/2011/02/monsanto-begins-smear-campaign-on- huber/> With Reuters and other major news organizations finally pushing forward on our Feb. 16 story about Hubers letter to the USDA that warned of spontaneous miscarriage possibly linked to Roundup, the manufacturer Monsanto has posted a rebuttal on its website: In a January 17, 2011 letter to the U.S. Secretary of Agriculture, retired Purdue University professor Don Huber proclaims discovery of a plant pathogen that appears to significantly impact the health of plants, animals, and probably human beings. The letter also alleges this pathogen is more prevalent on herbicide-tolerant genetically modified (GM) crops. No data was provided nor cited, and no collaborators were identified . . .
In the next paragraph, Monsanto follows up by acknowledging what a pesky thorn Huber has been, ever since they hired him to research their genetically modified products more than two decades ago.
Huber has previously made allegations related to micronutrient uptake and diseases in connection with GM crops and glyphosate products, said the statement. Independent field studies and lab tests by multiple U.S. universities and by Monsanto prior to, and in response to, these allegations do not corroborate his claims. . . .
The statement in Monsantos letter of response is disingenuous, said Dr. James E. Rahe, Professor Emeritus, Department of Biological Sciences, Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C. The published research from my lab done during the 1980s and 1990s showed that glyphosate (Roundup) causes increased susceptibility of dicot species to infection by root rot fungi such as pythium and fusarium.
Rahe is retired now to life as a row-crop farmer and has less at stake than his younger counterparts who still toil in laboratories that depend, largely, on funding from Monsanto and its brethren to conduct their work. He said he is inclined to accept Hubers letter and inherent warnings to the USDA.
On reading the letter, my impression is that it was sent in good faith, said Rahe, who said he still uses Roundup on a limited basis on his farm. The claims made in Hubers letter concerning a novel micro-fungal-like organism appear to be based on a substantial amount of unpublished research by several individuals in distinct scientific disciplines. If so, and now that the cat is out of the bag, it will be interesting to see what information appears in the domain of the scientific community in the near future with regard to the nature of this organism and its relationship to certain plant diseases and animal reproductive failure. . . .
If youre a practicing researcher dependent on a certain level of funding, it can be very, very damaging to come forward with any information that is considered detrimental to the GM industry, said Vlieger. It can literally ruin careers.
Making research involving genetically modified crops even more difficult is Monsantos overt squelching of any research by independent labs. The company wont make seeds available and will take scientists to court for attempting to take any independent research public. Farmers, by contract, are not allowed to share even a handful of seed with a lab.
Agritech companies have given themselves veto power over the work of independent researchers . . . Only studies that the seed companies have approved ever see the light of a peer-reviewed journal, said an article in the August 2009 issue of Scientific American.