Re: The EPA, whose mission is . . . to protect human health and the environment, has approved Monsantosrequest to allow levels of glyphosate (Roundup) contamination in your food up to a million times higher than have been found carcinogenic.

Page 1 of 2

This may be difficult . If you look up the MSDS for Roundup, written by Monsanto, of course, the stuff looks kinda innocuous.
The scientists Gilles-Eric Sralini, and Andres Carrasco who ran separate studies on Roundup have been hammered by critics. See: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sralini_affair> & <http://www.gmfreecymru.org/news/Press_Notice27Mar2011.htm To the Editor: The letter to the editor sent by representatives of Monsanto, Syngenta, and Dow Chemicals (among others) to Chem. Res. Toxicol. regarding our paper (Paganelli et al., published July 23, 2010) and the tone used in their criticism about other research papers studying glyphosate effects should come as no surprise considering the obvious conflicts of interest inherent in this work when the companies selling a product are also solely responsible for testing its safety. - Andres E. Carrasco
Previous references of the toxicity of glyphosate to humans in Wikipedia have also been withdrawn. However, remarks on Monsanto's "false advertising", and "scientific fraud" persist.
Jeffery M. Smith may suffer from his partisanship against GMOs (Good for him), and his lack of a scientific background or expertise.
The struggle hasn't ended however.
There is still Professor Emeritus Don Huber, Purdue University <http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/05/10/new-study-links-monsantos -roundup-to-autism-parkinsons-and-alzheimers/#_> New Study Links Monsantos Roundup To Autism, Parkinsons and Alzheimers
&
<http://afflictionfreenaturally.com/are-genetically-engineered-foods-prom oting-autism/#_/exjun_> &
<http://elizabethdougherty.com/2013/03/18/professor-don-huber-purdue-univ ersity-on-why-gmos-are-unsafe-elizabeth-dougherty-food-nation-radio-netwo rk/> &
<http://www.responsibletechnology.org/posts/monsantos-roundup-triggers-o ver-40-plant-diseases/> Monsantos Roundup Triggers Over 40 Plant Diseases and Endangers Human and Animal Health ===== <
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6N9KKhGvPw
Studies Prove Monsanto's Roundup Is Killing You
<http://fracturedparadigm.com/2013/06/27/monsantos-roundup-weedkiller-fou nd-to-damage-integrity-of-raw-fermented-foods/#axzz2YiIrXFgQ> Monsantos Roundup Weedkiller Found to Damage Integrity of Raw, Fermented Foods
Just railing agains Monsanto and Roundup is hopeless. Monsanto has too much money = power. They are slick. All we can do is present those studies that question the safety of Roundup. But is is depressing that when products like GMOs are fraught with danger, the government doesn't even ask Monsanto to do life long feeding trials. What politicians won't do for campaign financing.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Billy wrote:

This information is regarding food with Roundup residue, but what about using Roundup to just kill weeds that never come in contact with food?
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

is lunatic fringe alarmist propaganda, period. It is religious advocacy intended to direct readers' thoughts in the "correct" direction. Look at the sources: 100% advocacy groups presenting "studies" designed to reinforce their pre-existing points of view, "conclusions" and suppositions under the guise of "science". They deliberately misrepresent indoctrination and progandization as "education". Hell the very names of the groups, not to mention the titles of the "studies" presented reveal their purposes. This is charlatanism of the highest order which infested the organic gardening community decades ago and is steadily reducing its credibility to the level of "Coast to Coast". Here's a hint: Reputable journals and neutral scientists concerned with finding facts simply do not use phrases such as, "what an increasingly educated public considers a form of institutionalized mass poisoning" and "virtually guaranteeing that unless you eat 100% USDA organic concentrations of grave concern will end up in your food and body".
--
Derald
USDA 9b

Another "Fact Free" post from Derald.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Derald, how do you know that Roundup, and other Monsanto products are safe? Where did you find the statement, "what an increasingly educated public considers a form of institutionalized mass poisoning"
That may be inferred from the rapid increase in the sales of "organic" products, but if it was said, it would be pandering to the vanities of the consumers of "organic" products. It could just be that people no longer trust government, or business, and want to return to a simpler time, with simpler products.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Derald wrote:

I organic garden my veggies, but the rest of my yard where weeds practically overrun and I simply can't control them I do resort to using RoundUp! There just aren't enough hours in the day to weed everything.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

You may start with <http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/1999-04-01/Lasagna-Gard ening.aspx> <http://organicgardening.about.com/od/startinganorganicgarden/a/lasagnaga rden.htm> <http://ourgardengang.tripod.com/lasagna_gardening.htm <http://desertification.wordpress.com/2008/02/09/no-till-farming-saves-to psoil-google-seattle-post-intelligencer/> Spread your amendments on the beds (No Need to Weed) N: 18.37 lb. chicken manure/ 100 sq.ft. (2.88 oz/sq.ft.) P: (rock phosphate) 3 lb. / 100/sq.ft. (.48 oz/sq.ft.) K: How much wood ash should you use in your garden? The late Bernard G. Wesenberg, a former Washington State University Extension horticulturist, recommended using one gallon of ashes per square yard on loam to clay-loam soil, and half as much on sandier soils.
Cover with sheets of newspaper
Cover newspaper with 3" to 4" alfalfa
Hose the bed
Wait 4 - 6 weeks and plant with seedlings. Use a dibble, ideally the pointy (sharpened) end of an old shovel handle, to make the planting holes.
For seeding directly to the soil Rake in the amendments to bare soil, Seed, add mulch as plants grow.
Mulch can act as cover for pill bugs, silver fish, and other insects that can eat the very tender leaves of sprouting plants.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Interesting ... I do use just about everything already mentioned here for my raised beds.
When I built them, I bought some bagged soil + cow manure to fill them up and from there have added composted leaves. I even used the plastic bags cut open flat to line my walk path between the raised beds and put composted leaves on top to hold the bags down. It' keeps the weeds at a bare minimum and I didn't have to send the plastic bags to the recycler because I'm still using them. This year I had to add some more soil + manure to the raised beds because of settling and I used those plastic bags to mulch what I planted in the beds. Again, it keeps the weeds downs, too.
Have you ever tried gardening via the French Intensive method? I do that on a regular basis, plus double plant when I can, too.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On 7/12/2013 12:51 PM, Derald wrote:

Our resident nut job? Who would have thunk it? ;)
Seriously, I find billy, a chemist who is afraid of chemicals to be an anomaly.
Frank wrote:

He's a chemist? Interesting job, I imagine.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On 7/12/2013 3:47 PM, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

I'm one too, mostly retired. Lot of us chemists are geeks and nerds. I put billy in that group. Not, me, of course ;)
Frank wrote:

So, why did you become a chemist?
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

On 7/12/2013 4:07 PM, Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl wrote:

Might have gone back to the Chemcraft chemistry set I got as a kid. Back in those days they put in real chemicals that you could get in trouble with like making explosives.
Frank wrote:

That was a LONG time ago... I think I remember my brother getting one of those chemistry sets as a kid.
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

Ah, your only young once, but like KaBoom you can be immature forever.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<

Billy wrote: ...

don't ask me about green food coloring...
songbird

What about green food coloring? ;O)
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg

I would think that food that never came into contact with glyphosate would not be a glyphosate risk to human health. So I guess the question you are asking is what is your risk from exposure to glyphosate when using it to kill unwanted plants. The answer to that would have to do with how well you handle it to reduce your exposure. Did you get any on your hands? Did you eat before you washed it off? Did you breath any of it? Did you get any on your clothes, and then handle the clothes later? If you can say no to those question, then you probably have no personal health worries from glyphosate.
The Soil
<http://www.i-sis.org.uk/glyphosatePoisonsCrops.php Scientists Reveal Glyphosate Poisons Crops and Soil
Glyphosate binds with and inactivates EPSPS, the critical enzyme in the shikimate pathway required for the synthesis of aromatic plant metabolites including essential amino acids phenylalanine, tryptophan and tyrosine, as well as downstream products such as plant growth promoter, indoylacetic acid and plant defence compounds, phytoalexins [4]. But glyphosate has multiple adverse effects that act synergistically on crop health and productivity that extends well beyond the plant into the soil ecosystem and the wider environment.
The Food
<http://action.responsibletechnology.org/p/salsa/web/common/public/conten t?content_item_KEY129> <http://www.mdpi.com/1099-4300/15/4/1416 Abstract: Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup(R), is the most popular herbicide used worldwide. The industry asserts it is minimally toxic to humans, but here we argue otherwise. Residues are found in the main foods of the Western diet, comprised primarily of sugar, corn, soy and wheat. Glyphosate's inhibition of cytochrome P450 (CYP) enzymes is an overlooked component of its toxicity to mammals. CYP enzymes play crucial roles in biology, one of which is to detoxify xenobiotics. Thus, glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins. Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body. Here, we show how interference with CYP enzymes acts synergistically with disruption of the biosynthesis of aromatic amino acids by gut bacteria, as well as impairment in serum sulfate transport. Consequences are most of the diseases and conditions associated with a Western diet, which include gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer's disease. We explain the documented effects of glyphosate and its ability to induce disease, and we show that glyphosate is the "textbook example" of exogenous semiotic entropy: the disruption of homeostasis by environmental toxins. ==== What isn't clear to me is if they are talking about fresh produce, of if this is residue that follows the grains and sugar beets through their processing.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/
Billy wrote:

Well.. I didn't get any on me when I sprayed it, and I made sure I didn't walk in it after the weeds were sprayed. There was no wind, and I washed my hands before eating. Now, after I sprayed it on the weeds, I could smell the chemical on the weeds, so is just smelling it because I sprayed the weeds (not like I inhaled it alot) a danger?
--
Natural Girl //(*<*)\

I have no idea. And this is the problem. Chemicals are being released into the environment without adequate testing. Why? Profit. If I put you at risk for money, I wouldn't be considered a good person. Monsanto puts us at risk, because their products are unknowns, and potentially harmful. Like I say, I have no idea if Roundup is harmful, but there seem to be a number of reputable scientists who think they could be. I think we should know that a product will do no harm before it is allowed to be sold. O.K.?
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/