Re: Summer Lettuce crop

I had great luck with lettuce this spring growing black seeded simpson and

>salad bowl. Now that the rest of the salad vegges are getting ripe my >lettuce is about done. I live in central WI and we do get warm days 85 to 95 >with night time temps in the 60's > Do you think i can get another batch of simpson to grow this year ? I could >water daily and put a cover over it about 12 inches above ground to shade it >from the sun. >Or should I try another type of lettuce for this time of year. / >Thanks for any ideas.

You can certainly start lettuce seeds soon for growing into fall's cooler weather.

BTW, I had lettuce survive a foot of snow and temperatures of 16 F this spring - so you can probably grow it for a considerable time after your first frost, maybe into December.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows

Lettuce is very frost-hardy. Last spring, my lettuce survived temperatures of 16F. It was in pots too, it didn't even have the protection of its roots being in the ground.

Pat

Reply to
Pat Meadows