Re: Spreading asparagus yields

I overplanted on asparagus. As the three long rows have matured and

> become more productive my family and I have become dangerously close to > being burnt > out on what was once our favorite veggie. Year after next another row > will > come into full production. I mulch the beds heavily for the winter and > then > rake it off to let the soil warm in the spring. If I left the mulch on a > row > would that spread the production out very much. I know it would come in > later. Much later or just a few days? LRK

There are a lot of factors that come into play here. A major one that the mulch will keep the soil cold longer. How much longer? How much mulch?

Another factor to consider is that having the mulch layer to work through could result in some very nice blanching of the shoots. I would consider it certainly worth a try.

Bill

Reply to
Noydb