Re: small corn cobs

dave and lynda wray said:

I have a lot of smaller-than-normal ears this year. The stubby ears have only been partially fertilized. The silks may have been damaged by beetles or earwigs feeding on them, or the tassles might have been damaged by birds feeding on them (yes, sparrows will sometimes eat the anthers off of corn tassles), or the weather was not conducive to good pollination.
Me, I'm blaming the weather this year. The corn has been very late and slow to develop.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

Are the smaller cobs on the same plant as the normal cobs? Many of the newer hybrid varieties will produce 2 or more cobs on the same plant but, usually only one will be "normal" size.
Ross.