Re: Protecting blueberry bushes from birds

I like the solution posted by Samuel I Crowe for using plastic pipe. I'd like to know more about this. For instance, how far apart are the posts and how is the plastic pipe attached to them?

Also, does anyone know how to construct a cage using all metal, plastic or a combination?

In the past, I've used 2x4 posts in holes in the ground, but it's always been a hassle with the net catching on splinters. This year some of the posts have rotted.

-- winng

winng

winng My post go from 10 feet apart up to 15 feet apart. The ridge posts are 20 feet apart and on that I am using 1 1/4" pipe, the rest is 3/4" They are all fastened to the top of the post by drilling a hole in the pipe and using a large headed nail, once the nail is in keep tapping on the head to flatting it down against the pipe, this will prevent the net from catching. I tie the netting to the pipe with twine. I am picking blue berries now and without the cover I would not get a one. Yesterday one brown thrasher tried to get in while I was inside picking, it funny to see him going from place to place banging into the net trying to find an opening. Good luck on your battle, you can win.

Reply to
samuel l crowe