Re: navel oranges??

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 00:37:28 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If you mean the very small mandarins, in the northeastern USA, we've only been able to purchase them around December-February.
Sometimes they're called 'satsumas', sometimes 'mandarins', sometimes other things. I think they're called 'clementines' too.
Pat

Navel oranges in the US are usually harvested by May or June. Imported from southern hemisphere growers, navels can be found, sometimes at a premium. New crops should start coming in around Nov - Dec from California and Florida. Right now they are mostly picking Valencias.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 8/27/03 10:37 PM:

The season for local navel oranges has been over for almost two months. All the vendors at the Farmers' markets around here (S California) are pushing Valencias.
Bill

I would agree with the latter statement, but not necessarily with the former. AFAIK, tangerines are also a variety of mandarin. See http://www.thefruitpages.com/oranges.shtml .
rona

reticulata. 'Satsuma' and 'Clementine' are varietal names of C. reticulata.
--
elizabeth, Baton Rouge, LA
http://community.webshots.com/user/elott63
And none of the currently available mandarins/tangerines/clementines tastes at all like the tart tangerines we got as children. Too many generations of breeding with sweet oranges has ruined the tangerine. A tangerine Jelly Belly tastes more like a tangerine than a tangerine does anymore.
Harrumph! Monique Reed
Elizabeth wrote:

in article snipped-for-privacy@mail.bio.tamu.edu, Monique Reed at snipped-for-privacy@mail.bio.tamu.edu wrote on 8/28/03 12:22 PM:

I like my mandarins sweet and tart. There is no reason why that cannot be.
Bill
in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Pat Meadows at snipped-for-privacy@meadows.pair.com wrote on 8/28/03 10:41 AM:

concerned, the satsuma mandarin is the best citrus there is. I think other varieties have been pushed on me as satsuma. The problem with them is that their season is very short.
Bill