Re: Killing grass under my apple trees

I have apples and pears, and was having the same problem with grass, quite by accident I discovered that ashes left over from my fire place worked great at stopping the grass growing the next year. With the rain the ash became like a thick mulch and stayed put. BTW, my husband to lazy to dump the ashes in the trash, is the one who started dumping them under the fruit trees. We burn oak, hickory here. Oriole