Re: Kill Ants Organically?

Nope ... it's on the "A" list.

Reply to
Noydb

Fish emulsion is not edible.

Reply to
Phaedrine Stonebridge

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 15:13:03 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

Fish emulsion is made from a type of fish called "menhaden". Interesting stuff. You can read all about it at

. Here is a snippet from that site:

The Atlantic menhaden fishery is probably America's oldest business. When the first colonists arrived in New England, the local Indians showed them how to fertilize their crops with menhaden caught close to shore. Over the years, the fishery grew from its use as an agricultural fertilizer to a source of oil for lamps and then to animal feed supplements.

The menhaden is a remarkable citizen of the sea. Inedible to humans because of its bones, it provides forage for a number of other fish species.

End quote.

-- Gardening Zones Canada Zone 5a United States Zone 3a Near Ottawa, Ontario

Reply to
Jim Carter

Try instant grits. Put about a teaspoon on the mound, it works for fire ants. The workers take it into the mound and feed it to the queen. The grits expand and kill the queen.

YMMV. Pan Ohco

Reply to
Pan Ohco

When last we left our heros, on Mon, 25 Aug 2003 17:18:40 -0500, Pan Ohco scribbled:

No, they don't. That's an urban legend that just keeps making the rounds. Apply a little common sense and you'll see right through it.

There are no short term organic solutions for combating fire ants. Long term, beneficial nematodes and cultivating healthy soil helps to control them. You might also check with your local extension office and see if they've started a phorid fly introduction program.

If you're not sure what kind of ants you have, once again turn to your local extension service. Native ants have taken a beating in the last few years, and most are actually harmless beneficials. Between competition from the fire ants, and being poisoned by home owners who are afraid they're fire ants, their numbers have dropped.

Pam

Reply to
Pam Rudd

If they are plain black ants I don't worry about them. If they are fire ants and I need them out of the yard because of pets or children, I've had success with soapy water. It doesn't have to be boiling, just a little sudsy. The water washes the nest out (mostly) and the soap prevents them from using their smell to get back to the nest. Or something. At any rate it's gone the next day.

This doesn't prevent them coming back someplace else in the yard. But with weekly vigilance it kept my yard in Texas pretty much ant-free.

Dawn

Reply to
Dawn

Well Pam then that urban legend is working for me. As soon as a fire ant mound shows up, I put grits on it and in a couple of days its gone. I've kept my lawn here in Alabama ant free for quite a few years. Pan Ohco

Reply to
Pan Ohco

I just think they don't like your cooking.

Reply to
FDR

This is silliness. Ants eat grain all the time and it doesn't kill them. Your grits may drive them away, but not for the reason you think. That's sorta like claiming that you shouldn't throw rice at weddings because birds eat it and die when it expands in their stomachs.

Ants and Grits:

a more scientific treatise)
Birds and Rice:

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McMichael

Folks I did not mean to start a fight. And yes the reason that I stated for the death of the ants , might well be an urban myth.

But I don't care if the ants stone each other with the grits. Direct observation shows that putting grits on a fire ant mound works to destroy the mound.

Try the experiment and see if it works for you, it works for me.

Pan Ohco

Reply to
Pan Ohco

When last we left our heros, on Thu, 28 Aug 2003 13:25:01 -0500, Pan Ohco scribbled:

Might?

No it doesn't, which is the point. All you're doing is disrupting the mound. If you disrupt a fire ant mound, they will move the entrance. Disrupt it enough and they will move the mound. You are not, I repeat, *not* killing a single fire ant.

I expect your neighbors are just thrilled that you fatten up the fire ants before sending the mounds over into their yards.

Pam

Reply to
Pam Rudd

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 11:51:51 -0500, Pan Ohco secretly encoded this message:

Ask the ants. Or ask the experts.

Have you ever done as I suggested and googled for information on the behavior and life cycle of fire ants? I would really like to know what it is you think you're accomplishing when you those facts in hand.

Hint: Nary a grit makes it to the queen.

Pam

Reply to
Pam

I don't know how to get rid of them short of digging up tghe whole yard and repl;acing it. My mother has them very badly in her yard adn weve had them for years there.

trai

Reply to
Culturalenigma