Re: Garden Report: Squash Borers Wreak Havoc as Japanese Beetles Invade Raspberries

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 00:10:31 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge

They sure do, and it really hurts - I've been stung by them more than once. They don't usually seem to be aggressive, though.
Pat

No I have not usually found them aggressive either. They sure like the Lamb's Ears!
On 12 Aug 2003 23:46:18 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnoway (Tyra Trevellyn) wrote:

Don't. :) Once a bumblebee flew up inside my (loose-fitting) shorts when I was weeding the garden - I didn't know what it was and slapped at it and it stung me on the backside. OUCH!
I found out what it was after it had stung me, because slapping at it killed it and it fell out of my shorts when I took them off.
I couldn't sit comfortably for a couple of days.
Another time, I was driving with my daughter and a HUGE bumblebee flew in the open car window and landed on her hand, and stung her. It was probably afraid and confused at that point.
Pat
Tyra Trevellyn said:

Do it! Pet one! I do it. Mostly in the evening when they are settling down, Sometimes they push at me with a leg, but I've never been stung.
So far I've only seen two Japanese beetles (and squished both). One was on the raspberries and the other was on the zinnias.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net (Pat Kiewicz) wrote:

So cool. :)

We have an infestation of them here in Missouri this year. Everyone we know here is complaining about them.