Re: Earwigs in the Basil

Pat Meadows wrote:

That's an edible you're suggesting those for. I wouldn't.
Henriette
I tried the soy sauce and veg. oil trap a couple days ago, to try and reduce the damage to my poor bush beans. The next morning, I had about a half-dozen earwigs and a couple of big slugs in both traps and have been catching more ever since. So that method gets a ringing endorsement.

I had a terrible earwig problem in my organic garden, too. I tried the rolled-up newspapers, diatomaceous earth, etc. and nothing worked (I didn't try the floating row cover). I've been using yogurt container traps and they work great! I now use watered-down beer instead of oil, just because it's easier to dispose of (I just pour it out on the ground). Here's what I do:
1. Dig a hole large enough to set the yogurt container flush with the ground. I put one-two traps per row, depending on how bad the basil was being eaten, usually somewhere in the middle of the row.
2. Fill it halfway with cheap beer, then fill to about 1/4 inch below the rim with water. The water is just to save money - you could use beer only. I use the cheapest beer I can find.
3. Empty, rinse and refill the traps every three to seven days. If it's been hot, I replace them more often because the beer evaporates quicker. I caught a bunch of earwigs the first couple weeks, and now the problem is under control enough that I've removed about half the traps. You might catch some slugs, too, but that's not a bad thing.
Good luck!