Re: Dufresne

I didn't know that the zones in Canada and the US are different. I live in Toronto , Canada classified as zone 5. Where can i look up the differences between the two countries and why would they not class them the same and stop the confusion.
Jim Carter wrote:

wrote in rec.gardens.edible:

I found this on the "Seeds of Diversity" site. http://www.seeds.ca They are comments from several people:
Dufresne: [Pink/Purple] Nice flavour. Good producer. An heirloom variety developed by "le Frere Savignac", a renowned plant breeder. I have a symbolic affection for this precious variety. Dufresne: [Pink/Purple] Large, round fruit is sweet and flavourful. Soft, juicy texture. Dufresne: [Pink/Purple] Indeterminate. Medium sized pink fruit has very good taste. Very productive. Heirloom variety developed by Frere Savignac. Days to maturity: 75 - 80 Dufresne: [Pink/Purple] Large, round fruit is sweet and flavourful. Soft, juicy texture. Dufresne: [Pink/Purple] Indeterminate. Medium sized pink fruit has very good taste. Very productive. Heirloom variety developed by Frere Savignac. Days to maturity: 75 - 80
Seed Availability:
STATUS DISTRIBUTION Endangered Poor
Currently propagated by Seeds of Diversity's seed-savers. Not known to have been sold commercially in North America for over 20 years. Not maintained by the Canadian gene bank. Not maintained by the U.S. gene bank.
rec.gardens.edible:

Some entries on Seeds of Diversity tear out your heart. There are far too many entries that look like this: ========================Tomato : Ace, royal
Seed Availability:
STATUS Apparently Extinct
Not currently propagated by Seeds of Diversity's seed-savers. Not known to have been sold commercially in North America for over 20 years. Not maintained by the Canadian gene bank. Not maintained by the U.S. gene bank. ====================================There are too many such entries in the data base!

I had posted a link in another tread in response to your question about zones. If you go to the backyard gardening link, it talks a bit about the two (actually 3) different classification systems used in the US. You can use the info to do further research, if you desire. From what I've seen, I'm zone 3 in both the USDA and the Canadian classification system.
rona
In our last fun filled episode, Sat, 05 Jul 2003 16:58:30 -0400,

Eeeek! No...I love hearing about heirloom tomatoes and peppers, please post about them here.
Pam, purdy please?
In our last fun filled episode, Mon, 07 Jul 2003 11:55:10 -0400,

<snippety do dah>

Oh, I love browsing heirloom plants. It's interesting to trace their history and see what people growing them now think of them. I know I was reluctant to try Brandywines because I had heard they weren't as heat tolerant as other varieties, and heat we got plenty of around here. However, I've been tickled pink by the pink Brandywine's performance. It has proven to be the most resistant variety that I've grown to the Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus that comes with the <spit!> thrips.

Well, that's kinda the whole point of having a gardening group. We natter on about what we're growing and what works for us, and pick up a few new ideas from each other. I've got friends who's eyes glaze over after a few minutes of me pontificating about the differences between red and chocolate hananeros, but someone here might find that useful or interesting. And if they don't they can skip to the next message.

I'm in South Carolina, USA, with plenty of heat, humidity, and mosquitoes to go around.
Pam, USDA zone 8 , if that helps.