Re: Chilli recipe ?!

In Maryland, USA, I had mixed results "air drying" chiles. I built a drying rack using some screen wire and wood for a frame, and keep that on top of my refrigerator. With that, the thinned skinned varieties like Thai Dragon fared well, but thicker skinned varieties like Serrano still tended to mold. So I experimented with drying or at least helping them along by putting them on a tray in a toaster oven on very low heat. They dried well without molding, but they also lost their pretty natural colors and became brown in the process.

Then by accident I found a better way.

In season, I would sometimes use only a portion of a fresh pepper, and since I had my drying tray handy, I began putting the leftover portion of those peppers in my tray. I discovered that cut open, they dried much faster and therefore without molding, and kept their nice color as well.

So now I halve or at least cut open my peppers, put them on the drying tray in that form, and they dry without any help from the oven.

When a batch is dry, I put them in plastic zip-lock bags.

After they all dry, I grind them up with a small electric grinder made for home use grinding coffee beans. After a couple of times doing this and getting lots of hot pepper dust in the air, I decided (with a little "encouragement" from my wife!) that I need to do that job outside.

I had been leaving the stems on until dry, but then it's extra work breaking them off before the grinding, and even with protective gloves I end up with pepper dust on my hands afterwards. This year I plan to cut off the stems when I cut them to dry.

I haven't tried freez>

>> My chilli plants are starting to bear some nice fruit, and by the looks > >> of > >> the number of buds, I'll be getting lots!! > >> As a result, I'm looking for ways in which to preserve them for later > > use - > >> one of which is to make a hot sause of the type you get in the > > supermarket - > >> peri peri for example. > >> Anyway, I've found one good looking recipe > >>
but can anyone recommend > > any > >> others ?? > >> One small drawback to the question - I dont know what kind of chillis I > > have > >> !! One plant looks like birdseye, and the other looks like it will bear > >> larger rounder fruit - maybe habanero (!!!) > >> Any suggestions much appreciated. > >> > >> > > Can they be dried, 'spose to improve their flavour/strength and after all > > it's pretty much what the mexicans do isnt' it ? > > Duncan > > Chillies dry very well. You can either sun dry them (in the UK? not a > chance), or *sowly* in a warm oven or a microwave on low. Beware - they'll > produce a cloud of pungent chilli-vapour in your kitchen that probably > contravenes most international strategic arms limitation treaties. > > I also freeze a lot, they go soggy when thawed, like paprika does, but they > can be cut reasonably eaisily while still frozen, then bunged in the pan. > > You can pickle them, I find a slightly sweet pickling solution to be > perfect for most types, especialy Jalapeno,something like the sweet > pickled-onion liquid would do for a start. Just slit them and make sure > they're not bad inside, and to allow the solution to get everywhere. Do > wash the chillies carefully and only pickle the perfect ones. > Tim.
Reply to
John Drake