Re: Broccoli Green Worms How to Get Rid of

BT AKA Bacillus Thurigensis works quite well. It's the spores of a disease that kills cabbage moth larvae (the green worms in question). The stuff I got is a powder you mix with water and spray on the plants. The worms stop feeding almost immediately after ingesting it, and die a few days later. Harmless to people, unless great-great-great grandpa was a cabbage moth. There are varieties that work well on potato beetles as well. You need to re-apply after a rain if there are still worms present. See also "bug juice," though the family may not want to use that blender for marguerites afterward...
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at www.albany.net/~gwoods Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1200' elevation. NY WO G

They are probably the caterpillar of the cabbage moth. Hand-picking is usually enough for us; it's better to squish the small eggs usually deposited on the leaf undersides. Occasionally I send my moth-killer son out with a badminton racket to swipe at (and sometimes kill) the white moths. Another strategy is to cover the broccoli with a floating row cover (i.e. Reemay). And there are agents like BT (baccillus thuringensis [sp?]).
HTH --
    -frank
Yellow Jacket type bees will eat them. Try encouraging their presence by growing white clover.

I remember the problem when we lived up north and Bt was about the only answer. Since we've been in the deep south for the last 25 years, we haven't had the problem. The answer here is that we only plant and grow broccoli, cabbage, collards, kale, and other brassicas during the late fall, winter and early spring when the cabbage moths aren't around. That works out nicely since the brassicas won't grow in our spring to fall heat. If you can match your growing season to the off cabbage worm season, it might help some along with the Bt. Gary

Thanks everyone for your advice.