Re: Banana squash question?

>I am new to growing squash. This summer, I am trying to grow a banana squash >in a hydroponic grower. I had trouble getting the seeds to germinate. I >attribute that to poor storage by the vendor. Anyway one started and is >growing very vigorously. > >It appears to me that one of the embryonic squashes was able to suck up all >the energy made available. That one grew enormously while the others stayed >small. Is that a property of banana squash?

Banana squash are in the same species as Hubbards and buttercups, Cucurbita maxima. Typically 1 or 2 good fruits can be expected per plant, maybe 3-4 for some of the buttercups or Japanese kabocha types.

Another problem I am having is yellowing of the leaf edges. Am I better of >removing those leaves? That also will let more light get to the remaining >leaves.

I grow outdoors, in the ground. I've noticed that older leaves tend to die off for various reasons. Removing them shouldn't hurt.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Pat Kiewicz at snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net wrote on 8/14/03 3:04 AM:

Thanks.

I just picked the first squash in hopes that it might stimulate the growth of others. It was absolutely delicious.

Bill

Reply to
Repeating Decimal