Rat-tail radishes

I bought a packet of rat-tail radish seeds. How big do the plants get? Do I plant them the same time as early spring radishes, or wait until the ground is warmer and little chance of frost?

Thanks, regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

We've grown them for a few years. The plants get pretty big, at least a metre tall. Not sure how early they could be planted, we've always waited 'till after the last average frost date, end of May here. Harvested when immature, the seed pods are great in stir fry dishes, left too long they're ... tough. Ross, Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º19' North 80º16' West
Reply to
Ross Reid

Thanks Ross, Do they spread very much, or grow straight up? I guess what I'm really asking is how much room to give each plant. The seeds came without any cultivation instructions.

-Bob (44º02' North)

Reply to
zxcvbob

Hello,

We have grown these for the last 4 years and aquired them through Pine Tree. We direct sow Aprilish in a prepared bed (double dug/aged horse manure) giving a 9" spacing. They have grown 36" - 42" tall and are "bushy" the top half of the plant. Our bees really enjoy them and at the farmers market they sell very well for Asian cooking. I like to just eat them. If you pick them young (depends on variety) they are fun to toss on salads or to pickle with hot peppers (I like the Jamacian Mushroom or as they are called in our house "ouchie mama's").

They seem to thrive in clay soil that is low in organic matter as well. The seeds seem to be very easily saved from year to year.

We like them and I hope you do also!

Shar> I bought a packet of rat-tail radish seeds. How big do the plants get?

Reply to
Mutti Pie

They seem to spread quite a bit. Not like a single stalk growing straight up, more like a bushy shrub. Just checked with the boss and she says she plants them about 12 inches apart and they have no problem filling in the spaces between. They will produce a lot of seed pods. Make sure you keep them picked and they will continue to produce. Also, pick the pods when they are relatively young and tender. The tend to toughen as they age. We originally bought the seed from PineTree in 1999 or 2000 and have saved some of our own seeds since then. Ross, Ontario, Canada. New AgCanada Zone 5b

43º19' North 80º16' West
Reply to
Ross Reid