Raspberry help for the new beginner

I planted 4 raspberry plants I bought from a local garden center.Now I believe they're called canes. They llooked like little brown sticks in the ground, about 12 inches or so high. I planted them about 6 weeks ago and I'm not seeing any growth at all. NO fruit, which is normal, from what I understand, but no vegetative growth either, no leaves, shoots, nothing

Is this normal? Thanks

Reply to
new garden guy

Maybe they are dead? Try scraping some of them near their bases and see if you see any green growth. If not, time to return them to the garden center for an exchange or a refund. Be sure the replacements look alive, and follow the planting instructions closely (proper planting depth, watering in, etc.).

Sherw> I planted 4 raspberry plants I bought from a local garden center.Now I

Reply to
sherwindu

I just had the seem experience. Verify they're alive by scratching the stem surface to see if they're green. If so, they may be planted too deep. I raised mine about 1-2" and shortly after they spouted new growth. Good luck. TomC

new garden guy wrote in article ...

Reply to
TomC

Ours did this.

First year -- nuthin'. Looked dead.

Second year: grew a lot, but no berries.

Third year: looked like they died again.

Fourth year: WOW! berries beyond belief. It's now been an additional 3 years and they've been great ever since.

I don't know if we got a bad batch or not, but basically we had to wait 'em out into the 4th year before it really worked out.

Reply to
Sgt.Sausage

D E A D

Reply to
TQ
4 years ! Ouch ! I shall be long gone by then :( Oh well, be fun watching them sprout and stuff..Err wrt my planned cuttings
Reply to
Vivek.M