Raised garden redux

Nice score!

Reply to
Omelet

Cite please where Obama actually said that??? That's fascinating.

Reply to
Omelet

Shonuff

Around here split tractor tyres are used in a similar way. You cut through the side wall on both sides and take out the middle, which is easier than it sounds.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

I was out scrounging today at a location where they abandoned a dirt operation. I was looking for plate and screen. I found a lot of both, particularly industrial screen that I now can make a hefty sifter to separate fine soil from the local rocks.

What I did find were a dozen 40" diameter collars. They are galvanized steel, and use two allthread devices to suck them up. They were intended to join two large sections of galvanized pipe together. They are 16" wide, so they are perfect for tree rings. Having the split in them, just pull them apart, go around they tree, and bolt them together.

Two of them stacked would make one perfect raised bed.

Scrounging can be a good thing.

We also found where someone had taken down a very large tree. They sawed it into 16" lengths. We loaded the pickup up, and I have a splitter. Easier than driving the 80 mile round trip to the local forest cutting grounds.

Steve

- Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers. - Barack Obama

Reply to
SteveB

Holy crap, does that bring back memories. As a commercial diver, we would sometimes have to get tires out of boat propellers. And I'm talking about semi truck tires and propellers that were many feet in diameter. AND working in water where you could not see your hand in front of your face. Sometimes, we were able to get them out with come alongs, or hooking another boat to it, and pulling in the right spot. But it was hazardous, as one could pull out the entire shaft. About 80% went to the drydock, or partial where they would sling the rear of the boat and lift it enough to cut the tire, which took hours. THE absolute worst thing to get caught in a prop.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

sometime in the recent past Omelet posted this:

attributes it to Homer Simpson and I see no references to accrediting Barack. Me thinks a leg hath been pulled.

Reply to
Wilson

Which is why I prefer cites for some stuff anymore before stating them as facts.

Reply to
Omelet