Raised Bed Near Tree

In planting my first garden last year near a tree (the only place it can go), I discovered that it was almost impossible to dig where there were no roots. Some of the plants still did reasonably well although I know they were competing with the tree. This year I would like to put in a raised bed. Should I cover the ground with something like gardeners fabric first so the roots don't invade the raised bed? Thank you.

Reply to
Seeker

Tree roots are pretty strong and I would bet that gardeners fabric wouldn't have much affect. I have my raised bed near a tree and each year dig down to chop off the roots invading my garden.

Reply to
FDR

il Sat, 15 May 2004 16:48:29 GMT, "FDR" ha scritto:

I read a reference to this and I believe a barrier was put in, but what sort it didn't mention. Maybe both weed mat and stones bricks or old iron may be good.

Reply to
Loki

Hi Seeker,

By doing this you will stress the tree by supress air movement to the tree feeder root.

I will suggest using some large containers, put three stones under each container to allow air movement and avoid the tree root to invade into the containers.

Sorry for my bad English. :-)

Regards, Wong

-- Latitude: 06.10N Longitude: 102.17E Altitude: 5m

Reply to
nswong