Rain

So far we have gotten nearly two inches of rain since midnight. Weather station says much more to come. I can hear it coming down and it sounds pretty heavy at this time. We needed the rain but I fear there is going to be flooding. Weather station is sending out flood warnings and there are a lot of highway underpasses in this county that have flooded before and several folks have drowned in them.

Not to mention the bayous and creeks that flood routinely in this county. Luckily we live on high ground and have not flooded so far.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

Derald wrote: ...

maybe ours getting down there. later this week we have overnight temps getting down into the low

20s in the forecast. hope it doesn't make it down that far!

:) cheers! had my first cup of hot chocolate with green chili curry paste in it this morning. have to start small (just a little bit for a large mug, i work my way up to about a teaspoon eventually). just a hint of heat/flavor but it keeps the sinuses open and the blood nicely warmed up along with the chocolate. i put enough chocolate in there that it's also pretty much breakfast. i went all day until after we got back from the walk before i got hungry. in my other recent readings i found out that chocolate, candy bars, candle wax have about the same energy as gasoline. :) at least the chocolate does taste better. there's been a few times where i've swallowed and burped small amounts of gasoline. ucky...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

We were blessed with a gentle rain for two days that gave us three inches of free water. Now it has turned off a bit cold, low fifties at this time at 0602.

Dog is still having allergy attacks so I guess it is back to the vet sometime today or tomorrow. I get tired of mopping up dog snot from the floor but the poor dog isn't at fault so I shouldn't complain. She does keep us warm on these very cool nights.

We're still picking sweet peppers and fairly large green tomatoes, a couple sat on the counter for two days and actually ripened enough to eat them raw. The broccoli, cabbage, kale, etc. are about ready to start harvesting and eating. Still have a few quart jars of homemade kraut in the pantry so probably won't make any this season.

Believe it or not the eggplant is still producing even with the coolth (old Hippie word) of the season. I have a nice rib eye steak ready to cook and may just do some fried eggplant to go with.

Otherwise I need to make a library run as that is what I do in the winter, read a lot of Science Fiction and history. Oh yeah, a lot of naps too.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

George Shirley wrote: ...

we had our first actual snow last night that stuck.

nobody hit the ditch though, Sunday evening, i think the bar closes earlier.

i just put in a request for a more recent edition of the microbiology text so i have something for a few weeks that isn't light reading. i alternate between fantasy, science fiction, history, science and other topics.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

I only read scifi, the rest I had to do in high school and college and burned me out. Luckily our library system covers the whole state of Texas for getting books, sometimes it takes two weeks for them to show up.

The rain seems to have stopped with a bit over 4 inches, so far. Foggy outside at 1435 and supposed to get down to the low thirties this week, just for a bit though.

We're well stocked in case of a blizzard , and there's plenty of dog food too. I vaguely remember snow from when I lived on the East Coast, that's scary stuff for a southern lad.

Reply to
George Shirley