Rain!!

It has finally rained here. We have had an extremely dry summer. Our rain gauge (a pot sitting on the deck) was full this morning, so we have had at least 2.75 inches of rain. More predicted today. I will have to get out and pick tomatoes, watermelons and cantaloupes before they start splitting. I still have 35 pounds of tomatoes waiting to be made into salsa and I need to make another batch of butternut soup.

I like to just eat butternut steamed and mashed. ;-d A little salt and butter, maybe some shredded jack cheese...
--
Peace! Om

[...]

on top of that I grind some pepper corns yum!
"Steve Young" <bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet> wrote:

Absolutely!
--
Peace! Om

I prefer the soup, especially when I have several to do something with. I will freeze the soup.

It's also good mashed with real butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins. :-)~

Yes, sweet instead of savory.
It can also be made into "pumpkin" bread and frozen, or pies for immediate consumption.
Granted, there is naught wrong with soup. We get burned out on soup pretty quickly.
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".

I'm no soup eater myself. I don't find it filling or satisfying. I make it for my husband. He enjoys soup with crackers in the winter.

We must have gotten your share of rain. I have a fairly decent weather station and since June 1st this year we've had 374.4 mm of rain (that's 14-3/4 inches). We've also had one of the coolest summers in a long time. Much of our garden is a bust.
Ross Southern Ontario, Canada. AgCanada Zone 5b 43 17' 26.75" North 80 13' 29.46" West To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:31:57 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@forteinc.com wrote:

22" so far this year. Total rainfall for the storm was 2.8" and the total for the month is 3.8" Those are the measurements from the Community College about 10 miles from here.

You must have gotten all our rain also. We've had no more than 5" since June 1st. We had to irrigate but lost over 1/3 of the harvest to insect pests and disease.