Quinoa

has anyone grown Quinoa? if you pick the leaves for cooking, will the plant continue to grow without going to seed? what location/climate do you live in? this food is new to me. i finally found a local source and tried it as a tabouleh type salad. i'd like to explore other uses and perhaps growing it. any/all knowledge you've got would be much appreciated. cheers from spring in the south pacific, jeanne

No personal experience, and in fact it seems like it is still most common within its traditional range of South America (at high elevations). See for example:
http://www.farmradio.org/english/radio-scripts/32-6script_en.asp

Well, I can give a general answer - if you want to pick leaves and let a plant keep growing (lettuce being the classic example), you just pick some of them (I start with the bottom/outside), but not so many that the plant is seriously set back. For some plants a scissors or a knife will keep you from damaging the part you aren't picking (others you can use more of a fingernail or pinching motion). If you want to prevent it from going to seed, often harvesting the middle (apical) leaves will slow that down.

As Jim stated, quinoa is a high elevation crop, but there are culitivars that will produce at lower elevations.
These links should get you started.
Quinoa is a wonderful grain that we enjoy, yet haven't raised yet. Our seeds are in cold storage and hopefully will try them next year.
Here is an overview and a bit of history. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa
Pay attention to the saponin content and rinsing procedure.
More info. http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1993/V2-222.html
Seeds of Change offers several varieties that should grow at sea level, at least I am counting on them growing at low elevations.
http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/browse_category.asp?category_id99 http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=PS11505 http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=S10838 http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.asp?item_no=S10837
Care and G'luck Charlie