Quinces and Medlars

I have always lived in a warm climate so I have never grown medlars or quinces nor seen them grow. I am now moving to a climate with a cooler winter where I speculate that they might grow.
The area that I am moving to has a cool winter that lasts about 4 months where the morning temperature is about -3C to 6C ( 27F to 43F) it has heavy frost occasionally but it does not snow. Summer is warm to hot (25C to 35C max) and it can be humid. I am not that familiar with the USA zoning system but I guess it is zone 9.
Is there any chance of these fruits growing there?
The quinces that I have bought have always been hard and not tasty when raw but good cooked. Do quinces ever ripen to the point where they can be eaten raw? If so how is it done and what are they like?
Books advise that you must first blet your medlars, that is allow them to ripen to the point of being nearly rotten. A question for those who have eaten them, are medlars worth the trouble or are they just an oddity that deserves obscurity?
David

No. Raw quinces are not palatable. They always do have to be cooked. It's a novelty to chew on a small piece of one, but the novelty would soon wear off if I had to eat a whole one raw!

I know nothing about medlars, but your mention of soft fruit sounds to me like you are inviting bird trouble!

Hello, The native quinces that grow here in North Carolina, zone 7, must become very ripe to be good to eat raw. That's VERY ripe. Then they are yummy! If eaten too soon they will pucker your mouth. I don't know where else they might grow. Good luck, Eileen