Question regarding transplanting tomatoes

Page 2 of 2

Pressure cooking is even more efficient for making bones soft enough to crush, plus it has two other perks. You get to make stock, and the bones are sterilized. ;-)
For all practical purposes, a pressure cooker is an autoclave...
I currently make ALL soups and stocks in the pressure cooker to resolve the cooling issue that can happen with large batches. Prevents food poisoning. I can leave the pressure cooker, still fully sealed, on the stove top for several hours to cool stuff to room temp. before decanting and refrigeration.
Pressure cooked bones can be crushed by hand. Chicken being the fastest and easiest. Generally takes about 1 hour. Beef or pork take twice as long!
Back when we used to keep poultry, we'd crush the bones and mix up the stock remains and feed them to the chickens. The LOVED it.

Why not just purchase and use blood and bone meal if you are after Iron and Calcium phosphate? It's not like it's expensive or anything...
--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Ditto! Never again. I found compost scattered everywhere as they picked out the bones and meat scraps.

My dad would save the bones and then burn them. I have a protected pile which vultures visit. What goes around comes around.
New Electric India 5:13 Shadowfax & G.E. Stinson What Goes Around: The Best of Shadowfax Jazz
Bill
--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Cool. :-) We have lots of turkey vultures around here. Beautiful birds that do a very necessary job.

--
Peace! Om

"Any ship can be a minesweeper. Once." -- Anonymous

Chicken scraps with some bones? You better not have dogs or possums or other such animals where you live. If you do you're likely to find your little tomatoes ripped up as they dig up the bones and scraps.

Well rotted compost. Excellent idea.

You need to skip the meat and bones unless animals can't get to your garden. Also the rotting of fresh bones and meaty waste can harm the roots of many plants. Better to bury such stuff in the fall and let it rot away all winter.